Who is John ClareJohn Clare (13 July 1793 – 20 May 1864) was an English poet, the son of a farm labourer, who became known for his celebrations of the English countryside and sorrows at its disruption. His poetry underwent major re-evaluation in the late 20th century: he is now often seen as one of the important 19th-century poets. His biographer Jonathan Bate states that Clare was "the greatest labouring-class poet that England has ever produced. No one has ever written more powerfully of nature, of a rural childhood, and of the alienated and unstable self."
LifeEarly life Clare was born in Helpston, 6 miles (10 km) to the north of the city of Peterborough. In his lifetime, the village was in the Soke of Peterborough in Northamptonshire and his memorial cal...
Read Full Biography
John Clare Poems
- To Miss C....
Thy glance is the brightest,
Thy voice is the sweetest,
Thy step is the lightest,
Thy shape the completest: ...
- The Wild-flower Nosegay
In life's first years as on a mother's breast,
When Nature nurs'd me in her flowery pride,
I cull'd her bounty, such as seemed best,
And made my garlands by some hedge-row side: ...
- Approach Of Winter
The Autumn day now fades away,
The fields are wet and dreary;
The rude storm takes the flowers of May,
And Nature seemeth weary; ...
- The Old Man's Lament
Youth has no fear of ill, by no cloudy days annoyed,
But the old man's all hath fled, and his hopes have met their doom:
The bud hath burst to flower, and the flower been long destroyed,
The root also is withered; I no more can look for bloom. ...
- Sorrows For A Friend
Ye brown old oaks that spread the silent wood,
How soothing sweet your stillness used to be;
And still could bless, when wrapt in musing mood,
But now confusion suits the best to me. ...
Top 10 most used topics by John ClareSweet 167 Love 123 I Love You 123 Away 111 Wild 102 Grass 99 Long 95 Summer 95 Green 91 Sun 90
John Clare Quotes
Comments about John Clare
- Myvpoint: the problem with this sort of thing is you could do the same with fg.... john mcgahon, leo varadkar's leak, simon coveney's nepotism, bailey's swing, frances fitzgerald, clare daly also raised issue with hpv, david mc manus spreading a conspiracy that child benefit will encourage
- Rachelslist: whether you’re talking to ceos for a whitepaper or trying to get quotes out of an a-lister, interview skills are essential for any writer. get all the tips, tricks and strategies from senior journos john burfitt and clare rigden in this masterclass >>
- Mckelveyhouston: church news ireland - december 4 +perspective a very necessary public debate about personal and public moral standards by norman hamilton +poem for today autumn by john clare +speaking to the soul - see separate post on this site daily. [
- Barbmilne: 'winter walk' john clare 'the holly bush, a sober lump of green, shines through the leafless shrubs all brown and grey, and smiles at winter be it e’er so keen with all the leafy luxury of may.'
- Melaniejaxn: neighbours resume their anual cheer wishing wi smiles and spirits high clad christmass and a happy year to every morning passer bye... -john clare
Write your comment about John Clare
Ioana Virginia Bolba: John Clare is a wonderful poet. At first sight, one may think he is superficial, but going into details, we discover an intuitive poet, writing only about what he himself felt (not thought), and offering an interesting life lesson, an example of how we should enjoy small things and, most of all, against that rude running after money and not understanding what life actually means.