Who is Johann Wolfgang Von GoetheJohann Wolfgang von Goethe (28 August 1749 – 22 March 1832) was a German poet, playwright, novelist, scientist, statesman, theatre director, and critic. His works include plays, poetry, literature, and aesthetic criticism as well as treatises on botany, anatomy, and colour. He is widely regarded as the greatest and most influential writer in the German language, his work having a profound and wide-ranging influence on Western literary, political and philosophical thought from the late 18th century to the present day.Goethe took up residence in Weimar in November 1775 following the success of his first novel, The Sorrows of Young Werther (1774). He was ennobled by the Duke of Saxe-Weimar, Karl August, in 1782. Goethe was an early participant in the Sturm und Drang literary movement. Durin...
Read Full Biography of Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe Poems
- Elegies. - Part I. Roman Elegies
Speak, ye stones, I entreat! Oh speak, ye palaces lofty!
Utter a word, oh ye streets! Wilt thou not, Genius, awake?
All that thy sacred walls, eternal Rome, hold within them ...
- Mathal Name. - Book Of Parables
From heaven there fell upon the foaming wave
A timid drop; the flood with anger roared,
- Tefkir Name. - Suleika (speaks)
The mirror tells me, I am fair!
Thou sayest, to grow old my fate will be.
Nought in God's presence changeth e'er, ...
- What God Would
What God would outwardly alone control,
And on his finger whirl the mighty Whole?
He loves the inner world to move, to view
Nature in Him, Himself in Nature too, ...
- Second Ode
Thou go'st! I murmur
Go! let me murmur.
Oh, worthy man,
Fly from this land! ...
Top 10 most used topics by Johann Wolfgang Von GoetheLove 187 I Love You 187 Heart 147 Sweet 146 Life 136 Bright 112 Long 108 True 107 Joy 105 Night 103
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe Quotes
- Reason can never be popular. Passions and feelings may become popular, but reason will always remain the sole property of a few eminent individuals.
- Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.
- Whenever I hear people talking about "liberal ideas," I am always astounded that men should love to fool themselves with empty sounds. An idea should never be liberal; it must be vigorous, positive, and without loose ends so that it may fulfill its divine mission and be productive. The proper place for liberality is in the realm of the emotions.
- A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.
- What you can do, or dream you can do, begin it; boldness has genius, power and magic in it.
Comments about Johann Wolfgang Von GoetheSilkeschreiber: “a person hears only what they understand.” - johann wolfgang von goethe
Maraaaks: "everyone sees the matter in front of them, the content is found by the one who has something to add to it, and the form is a secret for most." johann wolfgang von goethe
Yasue_q: “magic is believing in yourself. if you can make that happen, you can make anything happen.” – johann wolfgang von goethe
Acohp1: knowing is not enough; we must apply. wishing is not enough; we must do.” – johann wolfgang von goethe
Ezlikesundayam: “doubt can only be removed by action.” - johann wolfgang von goethe
Read All Comments