Who is Johann Wolfgang Von GoetheJohann Wolfgang (von) Goethe (/ˈɡɜː(r)tə/, German: [ˈjoːhan ˈvɔlfɡaŋ fɔn ˈɡøːtə] (listen); 28 August 1749 – 22 March 1832) was a German writer and statesman. His works include four novels; epic and lyric poetry; prose and verse dramas; memoirs; an autobiography; literary and aesthetic criticism; and treatises on botany, anatomy, and colour. In addition, there are numerous literary and scientific fragments, more than 10,000 letters, and nearly 3,000 drawings by him extant.
A literary celebrity by the age of 25, Goethe was ennobled by t...
Read Full Biography
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe Poems
- Elegies. - Part I. Roman Elegies
Speak, ye stones, I entreat! Oh speak, ye palaces lofty!
Utter a word, oh ye streets! Wilt thou not, Genius, awake?
All that thy sacred walls, eternal Rome, hold within them ...
- Mathal Name. - Book Of Parables
From heaven there fell upon the foaming wave
A timid drop; the flood with anger roared,
- Tefkir Name. - Suleika (speaks)
The mirror tells me, I am fair!
Thou sayest, to grow old my fate will be.
Nought in God's presence changeth e'er, ...
- What God Would
What God would outwardly alone control,
And on his finger whirl the mighty Whole?
He loves the inner world to move, to view
Nature in Him, Himself in Nature too, ...
- Second Ode
Thou go'st! I murmur
Go! let me murmur.
Oh, worthy man,
Fly from this land! ...
Top 10 most used topics by Johann Wolfgang Von GoetheLove 187 I Love You 187 Heart 147 Sweet 146 Life 136 Bright 112 Long 108 True 107 Joy 105 Night 103
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe Quotes
- Reason can never be popular. Passions and feelings may become popular, but reason will always remain the sole property of a few eminent individuals.
- Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.
- Whenever I hear people talking about "liberal ideas," I am always astounded that men should love to fool themselves with empty sounds. An idea should never be liberal; it must be vigorous, positive, and without loose ends so that it may fulfill its divine mission and be productive. The proper place for liberality is in the realm of the emotions.
- A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.
- You will always find [hatred] strongest and most violent where there is the lowest degree of culture.
Comments about Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
- Mintalviharju83: courage is the commitment to begin without any guarantee of success. johann wolfgang von goethe efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction. john f. kennedy
- Mintalviharju83: live each day as if your life had just begun.” —johann wolfgang von goethe “the journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.” —lao tzu
- Tikiram18: talent develops in quiet, character in the torrent of the world ~ johann wolfgang von goethe frankiana baliktanaw
- Azmsrni: treat a man as he is, he will remain so. treat a man the way he can be and ought to be, and he will become as he can be and should be. © johann wolfgang von goethe
- Joshdoell_dj: "behavior is the mirror in which everyone shows their image." ~ johann wolfgang von goethe