Who is Jerry SaltzJerry Saltz (born February 19, 1951, in Chicago, Illinois) is an American art critic. Since 2006, he has been senior art critic and columnist for New York magazine. Formerly the senior art critic for The Village Voice, he received the Pulitzer Prize for Criticism in 2018 and was nominated for the award in 2001 and 2006. Saltz served as a visiting critic at School of Visual Arts, Columbia University, Yale University, and The School of the Art Institute of Chicago and the New York Studio Residency Program, and was the sole advisor for the 1995 Whitney Biennial.
Saltz is the recipient of three honorary doctorates, including from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago in 2008 and Kansas City Art Institute in 2011.
Saltz was born and grew up in O...
Read Full Biography of Jerry Saltz
Jerry Saltz Poems
Top 10 most used topics by Jerry Saltz
Jerry Saltz Quotes
- Elizabeth Peyton, the artist known for tiny, dazzling portraits of radiant youth, is now painting tiny, dazzling portraits of radiant middle age.
- Probably only an art-worlder like me could assign deeper meaning to something as simple and silly as Tebowing. But, to us, anytime people repeat a stance or a little dance, alone or together, we see that it can mean something. Imagistic and unspoken language is our thing.
- There's one Baldessari work I genuinely love and would like to own, maybe because of my Midwestern roots and love of driving alone. 'The backs of all the trucks passed while driving from Los Angeles to Santa Barbara, California, Sunday, 20 January 1963' consists of a grid of 32 small color photographs depicting just what the title says.
- First let me report that the art in the Barnes Collection has never looked better. My trips to the old Barnes were always amazing, but except on the sunniest days, you could barely see the art. The building always felt pushed beyond its capacity.
- All of Koons's best art - the encased vacuum cleaners, the stainless-steel Rabbit (the late-twentieth century's signature work of Simulationist sculpture), the amazing gleaming Balloon Dog, and the cast-iron re-creation of a Civil War mortar exhibited last month at the Armory - has simultaneously flaunted extreme realism, idealism, and fantasy.
Comments about Jerry SaltzMr_saltz: jerry's entire bit is "why can't the joker simply get along with batman?" and it's very funny
Jerrysaltz: jerry saltz: my appetites.
Quotesfamous3: [romantic] it took me twenty years to get steven parrino's work. from the time i first saw his art, in the mid-eighties, i almost always dismissed it as mannered, romantic, formulaic, conceptualist-formalist heavy-metal boy-art abstraction. - jerry saltz
Oum73066: a sad fact of life lately at the museum of modern art is that when it comes to group shows of contemporary painting from the collection, the bar has been set pretty low.,jerry saltz,life, art, painting ,
Alunhughestudio: i’d love to call jerry saltz just to put the phone down on him
Read All Comments