Who is James Clerk MaxwellJames Clerk Maxwell FRS FRSE (13 June 1831 – 5 November 1879) was a Scottish scientist in the field of mathematical physics. His most notable achievement was to formulate the classical theory of electromagnetic radiation, bringing together for the first time electricity, magnetism, and light as different manifestations of the same phenomenon. Maxwell's equations for electromagnetism have been called the "second great unification in physics" after the first one realised by Isaac Newton.
With the publication of "A Dynamical Theory of the Electromagnetic Field" in 1865, Maxwell demonstrated that electric and magnetic fields travel through space as waves moving at the speed of light. Maxwell proposed that light is an undulation in the same medium that is the caus...
Read Full Biography
James Clerk Maxwell Poems
- To K.m.d.
In the buds, before they burst,
Leaves and flowers are moulded;
Closely pressed they lie at first,
Exquisitely folded. ...
Bleak was the pathway and barren the mountain,
As the traveller passed on his wearisome way, ...
- To The Committee Of The Cayley Portrait Fund
O wretched race of men, to space confined!
What honour can ye pay to him, whose mind
To that which lies beyond hath penetrated?
The symbols he bath formed shall sound his praise, ...
- Cats Cradle Song, By A Babe In Knots
Peter the Repeater,
Platted round a platter
Slips of slivered paper,
Basting them with batter. ...
- Seventh Ode Of The Fourth Book Of Horace
All the snows have fled, and grass springs up on the meadows,
And there are leaves on the trees;
Earth has changed her looks, and turbulent rivers decreasing,
Slowly meander along; ...
Top 10 most used topics by James Clerk MaxwellLong 15 Mind 14 Life 13 Time 12 Never 12 Love 11 I Love You 11 Away 10 Place 10 Sense 9
James Clerk Maxwell Quotes
Comments about James Clerk Maxwell
- Asleepywanderer: found these while looking through old pictures. if you're bored, here are "complete the beard" drawings of kip thorne and james clerk maxwell! (happy to take requests. beard not needed to apply)
- 6144official: have you heard of this scientist? they are called james clerk maxwell
- Naohbean: engineering students will literally sit in a small auditorium build in the 70s and listen to a guy simp for james clerk maxwell
- Nordspamm: the heady ego trip one gets from suggesting an improvement to the van der walls curve and then learning that the james clerk maxwell fixed it by doing just that is unmatched.
- Deoxdynamics: links: