Who is James A. EmanuelJames Emanuel (born June 15, 1921 – September 28, 2013) was a poet and scholar from Alliance, Nebraska. Emanuel, who is ranked by some critics as one of the best and most neglected poets of the 20th century, published more than 300 poems, 13 individual books, an influential anthology of African American literature, an autobiography, and more. He is also credited with creating a new literary genre, jazz-and-blues haiku, often read with musical accompaniment.
Life Born in Nebraska in 1921, Emanuel was raised in the state. He spent his early years in the western United States where he worked at a variety of jobs. At age twenty he joined the United States Army and served as confidential secretary to the Assistant Inspector General of the U.S. Army Benjamin O....
Read Full Biography
James A. Emanuel Poems
- Wishes, For Alix
Always searching, may you find;
if you run-down,
may you wind;
- Wishes, For Alix [french] (cinq Vœux Pour Alix)
sans cesser de chercher ;
puisses-tu te retrouver,
si tu as tout lâché ;...
- The Young Ones, Flip Side
In tight pants, tight skirts,
Stretched or squeezed,
Crammed in, bursting out,...
- The Young Ones, Flip Side [french] (la Jeunesse, Face B)
Tuyaux de poêle et jupe rétrécie,
La jeunesse peine.
Tellement on la comprime,...
- The Treehouse
To every man
A green splice in the humping years,
Spartan with narrow cot...
Top 10 most used topics by James A. EmanuelSon 6 I Love You 3 Cool 3 Pain 3 Moment 3 Love 3 Away 3 Stay 2 Silence 2 Bird 2
James A. Emanuel Quotes
Comments about James A. Emanuel
- Israelkicksass: today, jews from eretz israel visit the ruins of the warsaw ghetto, 5 june 1946. a few months after this photograph was taken, the first part of the "oneg shabbat" archives established by historian dr. emanuel ringelblum was discovered under the ruins of warsaw.
- Gunthereagleman: nothing worse than a white male liberal and lebron james.
- Adamspolane: the astros aren’t exactly flush with 40-man roster space. they’ll be able to create one opening by transferring kent emanuel to the 60-day il, but they’ll need a roster spot for josh james, who is nearing a return
- Sirjoshbennett: a friend recently introduced me to james emanuel’s work, and it’s been such a gift to my thinking, dreaming. here are some lines from his wonderful poem, “the poet as fisherman”
- Tuliodna: today, a fantastic bioinformatician from uganda (emanuel james san) will provide training on sars-cov-2 genome assembly and quality control. please join (1pm eat / 12pm sast / 11am wat)