Who is HoraceQuintus Horatius Flaccus (8 December 65 – 27 November 8 BC), known in the English-speaking world as Horace (/ˈhɒrɪs/), was the leading Roman lyric poet during the time of Augustus (also known as Octavian). The rhetorician Quintilian regarded his Odes as just about the only Latin lyrics worth reading: "He can be lofty sometimes, yet he is also full of charm and grace, versatile in his figures, and felicitously daring in his choice of words."[nb 1]
Horace also crafted elegant hexameter verses (Satires and Epistles) and caustic iambic poetry (Epodes). The hexameters are amusing yet serious works, friendly in tone, leading the ancient satirist Persius to comment: "as his friend laughs, Horace slyly puts his finger on his every fault; once let in, he plays about the hea...
Read Full Biography
Top 10 most used topics by Horace
- Wisdom is not wisdom when it is derived from books alone.
- Anger is a short madness.
- The one who cannot restrain their anger will wish undone, what their temper and irritation prompted them to do.
- Lawyers are men who hire out their words and anger.
- A picture is a poem without words.
Comments about Horace
- Janelahahaha: please make a novella for horace and julius, enoch and francesca, grandpa portman's most intense cases, the hollow hunters' backstories, the 7 light-eaters' (& miss p's wards') backstories, miss peregrine's life w/ her brothers, etc. huhuhu
- Alexanderraine7: yankees lineup; rf - matty alou cf - bobby murcer (.327, 13 2b, 5 3b, 12 hr, 52 r, 40 rbi) c - thurman munson (.273, 14 2b, 35 r, 42 rbi) 1b - ron blomberg dh - jim hart lf - roy white (.241, 11 2b, 32 bb, 35 r, 32 rbi) 3b - graig nettles 2b - horace clarke ss - gene michael
- Jazzconclass: horace silver - the night has a thousand eyes (album version)
- Quackervolt: he was part of a set that also had clarabelle, horace, clara cluck and april but. i never finished f (its clarabelles and horaces luggage)
- Optimoprincipi: 2)..his poet friends would go with him as far as brundisium (modern brindisi). instead of focusing on the weight of the diplomatic mission, horace's description of the 600 km trip is filled with small details and comical anecdotes, a remarkable travelogue of friends on the road..