Who is Herbert SpencerHerbert Spencer (27 April 1820 – 8 December 1903) was an English philosopher, psychologist, biologist, anthropologist, and sociologist famous for his hypothesis of social Darwinism. Spencer originated the expression "survival of the fittest", which he coined in Principles of Biology (1864) after reading Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species. The term strongly suggests natural selection, yet Spencer saw evolution as extending into realms of sociology and ethics, so he also supported Lamarckism.Spencer developed an all-embracing conception of evolution as the progressive development of the physical world, biological organisms, the human mind, and human culture and societies. As a polymath, he contributed to a wide range of subjects, including ethics, religion, anthropology, economics,...
Read Full Biography of Herbert Spencer
Herbert Spencer Poems
Top 10 most used topics by Herbert Spencer
Herbert Spencer Quotes
- The more specific idea of Evolution now reached is - a change from an indefinite, incoherent homogeneity to a definite, coherent heterogeneity, accompanying the dissipation of motion and integration of matter.
- In science the important thing is to modify and change one's ideas as science advances.
- The great aim of education is not knowledge but action.
- Education has for its object the formation of character.
- We do not commonly see in a tax a diminution of freedom, and yet it clearly is one.
Comments about Herbert SpencerShantharmohan: "science is organized knowledge." - herbert spencer
Royjsnell: herbert spencer coined the phrase “the survival of the fittest.” there was a point in our history that the strongest survived and reproduced and the weak did not. the genetic makeup of humans got stronger. that is no longer the case.
Cerebralwisdom: every man is free to do that which he wills, provided he infringes not the equal freedom of any other man. - herbert spencer
Kuye_ade: every man is free to do that which he wills, provided he infringes not the equal freedom of any other man. - herbert spencer
Cerebralwisdom: strong as it looks at the outset, state-agency perpetually disappoints every one. puny as are its first stages, private efforts daily achieve results that astound the world. - herbert spencer
Read All Comments