Who is Harry CrosbyHarry Crosby (June 4, 1898 – December 10, 1929) was an American heir, bon vivant, poet, and publisher who for some epitomized the Lost Generation in American literature. He was the son of one of the richest banking families in New England, a Boston Brahmin, and the nephew of Jane Norton Grew, the wife of financier J. P. Morgan, Jr.. As such, he was heir to a portion of a substantial family fortune. He was a volunteer in the American Field Service during World War I, and later served in the U.S. Ambulance Corps. He narrowly escaped with his life.
Profoundly affected by his experience in World War I, Crosby vowed to live life on his own terms and abandoned all pretense of living the expected life of a privileged Bostonian. He had his father's eye for women, and in 1920 ...
Read Full Biography
Harry Crosby Poems
- Thorn In The Flesh
Thorn beneath the milk-white
In the flesh
- Hill Of The Foreskins
what was the moment of coition like?
come Zariba let down your gates
turn turtle all you captives of the flesh
- Invocation To The Mad Queen
I would you were the hollow ship
fashioned to bear the cargo of my love
the unrelenting glove
hurled in defiance at our blackest world ...
- In Search Of The Young Wizard
I have invited our little seamstress to take her thread and needle and sew our two mouths together. I have asked the village blacksmith to forge golden chains to tie our ankles together. I have gathered all the gay ribbons in the world to wind around and around and around and around and around and around again around our two waists. I have arranged with the coiffeur for your hair to be made to grow into mine and my hair to be made to grow into yours. I have persuaded (not without bribery) the world's most famous Eskimo sealing-wax maker to perform the delicate operation of sealing us together so that I am warm in your depths, but though we hunt for him all night and though we hear various reports of his existence we can never find the young wizard who is able so they say to graft the soul of a girl to the soul of her lover so that not even the sharp scissors of the Fates can ever sever them apart.
I never go to church to pray
Among the crowded pews
Nor kneel before a crucifix
To hail the king of Jews ...
Top 10 most used topics by Harry CrosbySun 19 Gold 16 Soul 13 Red 13 Heart 11 World 10 Queen 8 Love 7 I Love You 7 Fire 7
Harry Crosby Quotes
Comments about Harry Crosby
- Michaelgrandage: end of shoot! michael wraps my policeman in venice with harry styles and david dawson
- Fabratton: a really excellent late night purchase has just arrived - john wieners' 'hart crane, harry crosby, i see you going over the edge'. it's a broadside from the detroit artists' workshop press 'free poems among friends' series, c. 1966-67:
- Nehist: harry crosby was so traumatized by the carnage of world war i he vowed to live fast and die young. he came to epitomize the lost generation.
- Huntarmusic: think i’m ready for another harry styles album now
- Beaadmires1d: me admiring me admiring one direction niall, harry, louis, in 2013 liam, zayn in 2021