Who is G. K. ChestertonGilbert Keith Chesterton, KC*SG (29 May 1874 – 14 June 1936), was an English writer, poet, philosopher, dramatist, journalist, orator, lay theologian, biographer, and literary and art critic. Chesterton is often referred to as the "prince of paradox". Time magazine has observed of his writing style: "Whenever possible Chesterton made his points with popular sayings, proverbs, allegories—first carefully turning them inside out."
Chesterton is well known for his fictional priest-detective Father Brown, and for his reasoned apologetics. Even some of those who disagree with him have recognised the wide appeal of such works as Orthodoxy and The Everlasting Man. Chesterton routinely referred to himself as an "orthodox" Christian, and came to identify this position mo...
Read Full Biography
G. K. Chesterton Poems
- Wine And Water
Old Noah he had an ostrich farm and fowls on the largest scale,
He ate his egg with a ladle in a egg-cup big as a pail.
And the soup he took was Elephant Soup and the fish he took was Whale.
But they all were small to the cellar he took when he set out to sail,...
- W. E. Gladstone
Lift up your heads; in life, in death,
God knoweth his head was high;
Quit we the coward's broken breath,
Who watched a strong man die....
All round they murmur, ‘O profane,
Keep thy heart's secret hid as gold';
But I, by God, would sooner be
Some knight in shattering wars of old,...
- Variations Of An Air
Old King Cole
Was a merry old soul
And a merry old soul was he
He called for his pipe...
A wan sky greener than the lawn,
A wan lawn paler than the sky.
She gave a flower into my hand,
And all the hours of eve went by....
Top 10 most used topics by G. K. ChestertonGod 59 World 45 Great 32 Heaven 31 Earth 30 Never 27 Night 26 Gold 26 Face 26 Sun 26
G. K. Chesterton Quotes
- The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion.
- Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese.
- Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult, and not tried.
- A good novel tells us the truth about its hero but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author.
- You can never have a revolution in order to establish a democracy. You must have a democracy in order to have a revolution
Comments about G. K. Chesterton
- Quotepicnet: "love means to love that which is unlovable. otherwise it is no virtue at all." g. k. chesterton
- Susthama: one of the great disadvantages of hurry is that it takes such a long time. g.k. chesterton
- Agnesisaiah4110: a dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it. the true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him. once abolish the god, and the government becomes the god. - g. k. chesterton
- Dragnesmina: a dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it. the true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him. once abolish the god, and the government becomes the god. - g. k. chesterton
- Ancientwisdomhq: "the men who really believe in themselves are all in lunatic asylums." - g. k. chesterton