Who is Eugene FieldEugene Field Sr. (September 2, 1850 – November 4, 1895) was an American writer, best known for his children's poetry and humorous essays. He was known as the "poet of childhood".
Early life and education Field was born in St. Louis, Missouri at 634 S. Broadway where today his boyhood home is open to the public as The Eugene Field House and St. Louis Toy Museum. After the death of his mother in 1856, he was raised by a cousin, Mary Field French, in Amherst, Massachusetts.
Field's father, attorney Roswell Martin Field, was famous for his representation of Dred Scott, the slave who sued for his freedom. Field filed the complaint in the Dred Scott v. Sandford case (sometimes referred to as "the lawsuit that started the Civil War") on behalf of Scott...
Read Full Biography
Eugene Field Poems
- To Quintius Hirpinus
To Scythian and Cantabrian plots,
Pay them no heed, O Quintius!
So long as we
From care are free, ...
- The "happy Isles" Of Horace
Oh, come with me to the Happy Isles
In the golden haze off yonder,
Where the song of the sun-kissed breeze beguiles,
And the ocean loves to wander. ...
- To Phyllis I
Come, Phyllis, I've a cask of wine
That fairly reeks with precious juices,
And in your tresses you shall twine
The loveliest flowers this vale produces. ...
- Uhland's "chapel"
Yonder stands the hillside chapel
Mid the evergreens and rocks,
All day long it hears the song
Of the shepherd to his flocks. ...
- Horace I, 31
As forth he pours the new made wine,
What blessing asks the lyric poet--
What boon implores in this fair shrine
Of one full likely to bestow it? ...
Top 10 most used topics by Eugene FieldLove 159 I Love You 159 Sweet 126 Long 111 Song 111 Night 108 Heart 107 Dear 98 Away 95 Time 93
Eugene Field Quotes
Comments about Eugene Field
- Fldhousemuseum: join us tomorrow for "little boy blue," created in partnership with the mourning society of st. louis. this program pays tribute to the famous poem by eugene field. more information can be found on the museum's facebook page and tickets can be purchased through eventbrite!
- Conservjobboard: job opening: americorps assistant field leader, youth corps camping with: northwest youth corps - eugene, or
- Conservjobboard: job opening: eugene americorps field leader with: northwest youth corps - eugene, or
- Af_tfxc: 2️⃣ locations, 1️⃣ meet the falcons are competing the inaugural west coast classic tomorrow in tucson (sprints, jumps) and eugene (distances, throws). notes:
- Ucybr: distinguished talk! ucybr & csee announce a talk by professor eugene spafford: “cyber lessons, learned and unlearned.” join this engaging presentation from one of the most respected luminaries of the cybersecurity field! tuesday 4/20 1-2pm et via webex