Who is Anais NinAngela Anaïs Juana Antolina Rosa Edelmira Nin y Culmell (February 21, 1903 – January 14, 1977; , French: [ana.is nin]) was a French-born American diarist, essayist, novelist, and writer of short stories and erotica. Born to Cuban parents in France, Nin was the daughter of the composer Joaquín Nin and the classically trained singer Rosa Culmell. Nin spent her early years in Spain and Cuba, about sixteen years in Paris (1924–1940), and the remaining half of her life in the United States, where she became an established author.
Nin wrote journals prolifically from age eleven until her death. Her journals, many of which were published during her lifetime, detail her private thoughts and personal relationships. Her journals also describe her marriages to Hugh Parker Guiler and Ru...
Read Full Biography of Anais Nin
Anais Nin Poems
Top 10 most used topics by Anais Nin
Anais Nin Quotes
- Age does not protect you from love. But love, to some extent, protects you from age.
- If you do not breathe through writing, if you do not cry out in writing, or sing in writing, then don't write, because our culture has no use for it.
- It is the function of art to renew our perception. What we are familiar with we cease to see. The writer shakes up the familiar scene, and, as if by magic, we see a new meaning in it.
- Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.
- I, with a deeper instinct, choose a man who compels my strength, who makes enormous demands on me, who does not doubt my courage or my toughness, who does not believe me naive or innocent, who has the courage to treat me like a woman.
Comments about Anais NinManomayakosha: "if what proust says is true, that happiness is the absence of fever, them i will never know happiness. for i am possessed by a fever for knowledge, experience, and creation." - anais nin
Manomayakosha: “the artist is the only one who knows that the world is a subjective creation, that there is a choice to be made, a selection of elements. it is a materialization, an incarnation of his inner world." — anaïs nin
Moseshawk: "each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive; it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.” – anaïs nin
Jamelcook1: “and the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” – anaïs nin
Stephen_groner: life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. anais nin
Read All Comments