Who is Allen GinsbergIrwin Allen Ginsberg (/ˈɡɪnzbɜːrɡ/; June 3, 1926 – April 5, 1997) was an American poet, philosopher and writer. He is considered to be one of the leading figures of both the Beat Generation during the 1950s and the counterculture that soon followed. He vigorously opposed militarism, economic materialism, and sexual repression and was known as embodying various aspects of this counterculture, such as his views on drugs, hostility to bureaucracy and openness to Eastern religions. He was one of many influential American writers of his time known as the Beat Generation, which included famous writers such as Jack Kerouac and William S. Burroughs.
Ginsberg is best known for his poem "Howl", in which he denounced what he saw as the destructive forces of capitalism...
Read Full Biography
Allen Ginsberg Poems
Kissass is the Part of Peace
America will have to Kissass Mother Earth
Whites have to Kissass blacks, for Peace & Pleasure,
Only Pathway to Peace, Kissass....
Homage to Kenneth Koch
If I were doing my Laundry I'd wash my dirty Iran ...
- First Party At Ken Kesey's With Hell's Angels
Cool black night thru redwoods
cars parked outside in shade
behind the gate, stars dim above
the ravine, a fire burning by the side ...
- An Asphodel
O dear sweet rosy
...how sad, no way
to change the mad ...
- Fourth Floor, Dawn, Up All Night Writing Letters
Pigeons shake their wings on the copper church roof
out my window across the street, a bird perched on the cross
surveys the city's blue-grey clouds. Larry Rivers
'll come at 10 AM and take my picture. I'm taking ...
Top 10 most used topics by Allen GinsbergWorld 16 Time 14 Red 14 Floor 13 Black 13 Thought 13 Mind 13 Sky 13 House 12 Night 12
Allen Ginsberg Quotes
- America, why are your libraries full of tears?
- Because systems of mass communication can communicate only officially acceptable levels of reality, no one can know the extent of the secret unconscious life. No one in America can know what will happen. No one is in real control.
- Whoever controls the media --the images-- controls the culture.
Comments about Allen Ginsberg
- Rsquotesbot: “be careful. you are not in wonderland. i've heard the strange madness long growing in your soul. but you are fortunate in your ignorance, in your isolation. you who have suffered find where love hides. give, share, lose— lest we die unbloomed.” - allen ginsberg
- Lynes_christine: children screaming under stairways! boys sobbing in armies! old men weeping in parks! (excerpt from allen ginsberg’s howl)
- Jsundmanus: moloch whose malevolence infests my novels in form of meekman-villains! moloch unseen cheney-demon of the pains! moloch insane brain-writer of cheap complex devices! moloch whose allen ginsberg rhapsodic incantation gives me hardons even though i'm not gay! (so far as i know!!).
- Mistyejik: living closely to kushtia, bangladesh one cannot escape hearing about fakir lalon shah, and i have read quite a lot about him in last few months. but allen ginsberg's poem after lalon came as a surprise discovery today. still much to learn about west's fascination with india...
- Ginsbergpoem: more ginsberg and corso and others on jack kerouac, on the road in tibetan, celine, jack spicer and remembering thich nhat hanh, friday's weekly round-up on the allen ginsberg project -