Who is Alfred Edward HousmanAlfred Edward Housman (/ˈhaʊsmən/; 26 March 1859 – 30 April 1936), usually known as A. E. Housman, was an English classical scholar and poet, best known to the general public for his cycle of poems A Shropshire Lad. Lyrical and almost epigrammatic in form, the poems wistfully evoke the dooms and disappointments of youth in the English countryside. Their beauty, simplicity and distinctive imagery appealed strongly to Edwardian taste, and to many early 20th-century English composers both before and after the First World War. Through their song-settings, the poems became closely associated with that era, and with Shropshire itself.
Housman was one of the foremost classicists of his age and has been ranked as one of the greatest scholars who ever lived. He established ...
Read Full Biography
Alfred Edward Housman Poems
- Poems From "a Shropshire Lad" - Xxiii
The lads in their hundreds to Ludlow come in for the fair,
There's men from the barn and the forge and the mill and the fold,
The lads for the girls and the lads for the liquor are there,
And there with the rest are the lads that will never be old. ...
- Poems From "a Shropshire Lad" - Xlv
If it chance your eye offend you,
Pluck it out, lad, and be sound:
'Twill hurt, but here are salves to friend you,
And many a balsam grows on ground. ...
- Poems From "a Shropshire Lad" - I - 1887
From Clee to heaven the beacon burns,
The shires have seen it plain,
From north and south the sign returns
And beacons burn again. ...
- Poems From "a Shropshire Lad" - Lvi - The Day Of Battle
"Far I hear the bugle blow
To call me where I would not go,
And the guns begin the song,
'Soldier, fly or stay for long.'" ...
- Poems From "a Shropshire Lad" - L
Clunton and Clunbury,
Clungunford and Clun,
Are the quietest places
Under the sun. ...
Top 10 most used topics by Alfred Edward HousmanLong 47 Earth 39 Morning 37 High 36 Stand 32 Never 30 Grave 30 Soul 29 Heart 28 Night 28
Alfred Edward Housman Quotes
Comments about Alfred Edward Housman
- Urminaia: bd - alfred edward housman (march 26, 1859 - april 30, 1936).
- Dalston_boy: poet alfred edward housman born 26 march 1859 in worcestershire
- Book_addict: happy birthday english poet and scholar a. e. housman [alfred edward houseman] (march 26, 1859), author of "a shropshire lad" (1896) et al.
- Modernlibrary: alfred edward housman, born march 26, 1859. oh, when i was in love with you then i was clean and brave, and miles around the wonder grew how well did i behave. and now the fancy passes by and nothing will remain, and miles around they'll say that i am quite myself again.
- Writingquotes_: "nature, not content with denying him the ability to think, has endowed him with the ability to write." ~ alfred edward housman