Who is William ShenstoneWilliam Shenstone (18 November 1714 – 11 February 1763) was an English poet and one of the earliest practitioners of landscape gardening through the development of his estate, The Leasowes.
Biography Son of Thomas Shenstone and Anne Penn, daughter of William Penn of Harborough Hall, then in
Hagley (now Blakedown), Shenstone was born at the Leasowes, Halesowen on 18 November 1714. At that time this was an enclave of Shropshire within the county of Worcestershire and now in the West Midlands. Shenstone received part of his formal education at Halesowen Grammar School (now The Earls High School). In 1741, Shenstone became bailiff to the feoffees of Halesowen Grammar School.
While attending Solihull School, he began a lifelong friendship ...
Read Full Biography
William Shenstone Poems
- Song Xi. - Perhaps It Is Not Love
Perhaps it is not love, said I,
That melts my soul when Flavia's nigh;
Where wit and sense like hers agree,
One may be pleased, and yet be free. ...
- Elegy Xxiii. Reflections Suggested By His Situation
Born near the scene for Kenelm's fate renown'd,
I take my plaintive reed, and range the grove,
And raise my lay, and bid the rocks resound
The savage force of empire, and of love. ...
- A Parody
When first, Philander, first I came
Where Avon rolls his winding stream,
The nymphs, how brisk, the swains, how gay,
To see Asteria, queen of May! ...
- The Speeches Of Sloth And Virtue
[Upon the Plan of Xenophen's Judgment of Hercules]
- Extent Of Cookery
Aliusque et idem.
(Another and the same).
When Tom to Cambridge first was sent, ...
Top 10 most used topics by William ShenstoneI Love You 45 Love 45 Song 29 Soft 25 Power 24 Hear 24 Never 24 Alone 24 Gentle 23 Mind 23
William Shenstone Quotes
- A liar begins with making falsehood appear like truth, and ends with making truth itself appear like falsehood.
Comments about William Shenstone
- Actormariefinch: honesty is the greatest courage. a great quote…“ a liar begins with making falsehood appear like truth, and ends with making truth itself appear like falsehood.” william shenstone
- Tracy_boutique: new artwork for sale! - "portrait of william shenstone 1714-1763 1891p30 " -
- Licketygcult: a liar begins with making falsehood appear like truth, and ends with making truth itself appear like falsehood. -william shenstone
- Willobaba2000: "a liar begins with making falsehood appear like truth, and ends with making truth itself appear like falsehood." -william shenstone
- Welfordwrites: a fool and his words are soon parted. william shenstone