Who is Adam Lindsay GordonAdam Lindsay Gordon (19 October 1833 – 24 June 1870) was an Australian poet, jockey, police officer, and politician.
Early life Gordon was born at Fayal in the Azores, son of Captain Adam Durnford Gordon, who had married his first cousin, Harriet Gordon, both of whom were descended from Adam Gordon of Auchindoun, of the ballad "Edom o Gordon". Captain Gordon, who had retired from the Bengal cavalry and taught Hindustani, was then staying at the Azores for the sake of his wife's health. After living on the island of Madeira, they went to England and lived at Cheltenham in 1840.
Read Full Biography
Adam Lindsay Gordon Poems
- Valedictory Poem
Lay me low, my work is done;
I am weary. Lay me low,
Where the wild flowers woo the sun,
Where the balmy breezes blow, ...
- The Race
On the hill they are crowding together,
In the stand they are crushing for room,
Like midge-flies they swarm on the heather,
They gather like bees on the broom; ...
- Sea Spray And Smoke Drift
Am I waking? Was I sleeping?
Dearest, are you watching yet?
Traces on your cheeks of weeping ...
- Zu Der Edlen Yagd - [a Treatise On Trees--vine-tree V. Saddle-tree]
"Now, welcome, welcome, masters mine,
Thrice welcome to the noble chase,
Nor earthly sport, nor sport divine,
Can take such honourable place." ...
- Visions In The Smoke
Rest, and be thankful! On the verge
Of the tall cliff rugged and grey,
But whose granite base the breakers surge,
And shiver their frothy spray, ...
Top 10 most used topics by Adam Lindsay GordonNever 79 Long 72 Good 61 Life 61 Strong 61 Heart 58 Red 57 Head 54 Light 53 Hard 51
Adam Lindsay Gordon Quotes
Comments about Adam Lindsay Gordon
- Misbahislamkhan: life is mostly froth and bubble. two things stand like stone; kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own. -adam lindsay gordon
- Johnbarrows2: adam lindsay gordon monument at the blue lake, mount gambier, australia.
- Boris_handziski: “life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own.” ― adam lindsay gordon
- Esmeauthor: life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand alone, kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own. adam lindsay gordon
- Thephoneladyca: a thought for today: life is mostly froth and bubble, / two things stand like stone, / kindness in another's trouble, / courage in your own. -adam lindsay gordon, poet (19 oct 1833-1870)