Who is A. E. HousmanAlfred Edward Housman (/ˈhaʊsmən/; 26 March 1859 – 30 April 1936), usually known as A. E. Housman, was an English classical scholar and poet, best known to the general public for his cycle of poems A Shropshire Lad. Lyrical and almost epigrammatic in form, the poems wistfully evoke the dooms and disappointments of youth in the English countryside. Their beauty, simplicity and distinctive imagery appealed strongly to Edwardian taste, and to many early 20th-century English composers both before and after the First World War. Through their song-settings, the poems became closely associated with that era, and with Shropshire itself.
Housman was one of the foremost classicists of his age and has been ranked as one of the greatest scholars who ever lived. He established ...
Read Full Biography
A. E. Housman Poems
- You Smile Upon Your Friend To-day
You smile upon your friend to-day,
To-day his ills are over;
You hearken to the lover's say,
And happy is the lover....
- With Rue My Heart Is Laden
With rue my heart is laden
For golden friends I had,
For many a rose-lipt maiden
And many a lightfoot lad....
- White In The Moon The Long Road Lies
White in the moon the long road lies,
The moon stands blank above;
White in the moon the long road lies
That leads me from my love....
- When The Lad For Longing Sighs
When the lad for longing sighs,
Mute and dull of cheer and pale,
If at death's own door he lies,
Maiden, you can heal his ail....
- When Smoke Stood Up From Ludlow
When smoke stood up from Ludlow,
And mist blew off from Teme,
And blithe afield to ploughing
Against the morning beam...
Top 10 most used topics by A. E. HousmanNever 22 Heart 20 Long 19 Away 17 Night 14 Home 13 High 13 Love 12 Time 12 I Love You 12
A. E. Housman Quotes
- In every American there is an air of incorrigible innocence, which seems to conceal a diabolical cunning.
Comments about A. E. Housman
- Mogalore: writers inspirational quotes nature, not content with denying him the ability to think, has endowed him with the ability to write. - a. e. housman
- Imogalore: writers inspirational quotes nature, not content with denying him the ability to think, has endowed him with the ability to write. - a. e. housman
- Yuqincai: speak now, and i will answer; how shall i help you, say; ere to the wind's twelve quarters i take my endless way. a.e. housman
- Luna_bmw: never give your heart away, it will cost your happiness bring emotional pain, and lead you to endless sorrow -a. e. housman
- Welfordwrites: on wenlock edge, a poem by a e housman. a poem from “a shropshire lad” that relates modern angst to that of an ancient roman. click the link!