Who is William Cullen BryantWilliam Cullen Bryant (November 3, 1794 – June 12, 1878) was an American romantic poet, journalist, and long-time editor of the New York Evening Post.
Youth and education Engraving of Bryant c. 1843 Bryant was born on November 3, 1794, in a log cabin near Cummington, Massachusetts; the home of his birth is today marked with a plaque. He was the second son of Peter Bryant (b. Aug. 12, 1767, d. Mar. 20, 1820), a doctor and later a state legislator, ...
Read Full Biography
William Cullen Bryant Poems
- The Battle-field.
Once this soft turf, this rivulet's sands,
Were trampled by a hurrying crowd,
And fiery hearts and armed hands
Encountered in the battle cloud. ...
- An Evening Revery. - From An Unfinished Poem.
The summer day is closed, the sun is set:
Well they have done their office, those bright hours,
The latest of whose train goes softly out
In the red West. The green blade of the ground ...
A midnight black with clouds is in the sky;
I seem to feel, upon my limbs, the weight
Of its vast brooding shadow. All in vain
Turns the tired eye in search of form; no star ...
- A Presentiment.
"Oh father, let us hence, for hark,
A fearful murmur shakes the air.
The clouds are coming swift and dark:
What horrid shapes they wear! ...
- The Return Of Youth.
My friend, thou sorrowest for thy golden prime,
For thy fair youthful years too swift of flight;
Thou musest, with wet eyes, upon the time
Of cheerful hopes that filled the world with light, ...
Top 10 most used topics by William Cullen BryantEarth 169 Light 149 Long 144 I Love You 135 Love 135 Life 133 Bright 129 Away 123 Heart 116 Green 115
William Cullen Bryant Quotes
- Difficulty, my brethren, is the nurse of greatness-a harsh nurse, who roughly rocks her foster-children into strength and athletic proportion.
Comments about William Cullen Bryant
- Si_npg: howell, william cullen bryant, c. 1870
- Dchoskin: difficulty, my brethren, is the nurse of greatness a harsh nurse, who roughly rocks her foster children into strength and athletic proportion. -william cullen bryant
- Npage321: "truth crushed to earth will rise again". william cullen bryant
- Go_geig: niche tweet but: why did we actually never read anything by christopher morely or william cullen bryant in school at roslyn?
- Si_npg: jacques reich, william cullen bryant, 1899