Who is Phillips BrooksPhillips Brooks (December 13, 1835 – January 23, 1893) was an American Episcopal clergyman and author, long the Rector of Boston's Trinity Church and briefly Bishop of Massachusetts,
and particularly remembered as lyricist of the Christmas hymn, "O Little Town of Bethlehem".
In the Episcopal liturgical calendar he is remembered on January 23.
BackgroundEarly life and education Born in Boston, Brooks was descended through his father, William Gray Brooks, from the Rev. John Cotton; through his mother, Mary Ann Phillips, he was a great-grandson of Samuel Phillips, Jr., founder of Phillips Academy (Andover, Massachusetts). Three of Brooks' five brothers – Frederic, Arthur and John Cotton ̵...
Read Full Biography
Phillips Brooks Poems
- O Little Town Of Bethlehem
O little town of Bethlehem,
How still we see thee lie!
Above thy deep and dreamless sleep
The silent stars go by:...
Top 10 most used topics by Phillips BrooksLove 1 Gift 1 Dear 1 I Love You 1 World 1 Together 1 Son 1 Sleep 1 Peace 1 Night 1
Phillips Brooks Quotes
- Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks. Then the doing of your work shall be no miracle, but you shall be the miracle.
- A prayer in its simplest definition is merely a wish turned Godward.
- Character may be manifested in the great moments, but it is made in the small ones.
- Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for power equal to your tasks.
- Life comes before literature, as the material always comes before the work. The hills are full of marble before the world blooms with statues.
Comments about Phillips Brooks
- Jameschessor: luke tells us about the first time followers of christ were called christians. soon after that, they took up an offering to send to their brothers in judea. phillips brooks was asked what he would do to revive a dead church, and he replied,“i would take up a missionary offering!”
- Ctemephs: okay cte folks help me welcome our new phillips phamily social worker mrs. brooks with a loud cte shout out!!!!!
- Tweetsaroundfla: a man who lives right, and is right, has more power in his silence than another has by his words. -phillips brooks
- Georgiatweetz: a man who lives right, and is right, has more power in his silence than another has by his words. -phillips brooks
- Conntweetz: a man who lives right, and is right, has more power in his silence than another has by his words. -phillips brooks