Who is VoltaireFrançois-Marie Arouet (French: [fʁɑ̃swa maʁi aʁwɛ]; 21 November 1694 – 30 May 1778), known by his nom de plume Voltaire (/vɒlˈtɛər/; French: [vɔltɛːʁ]), was a French Enlightenment writer, historian and philosopher famous for his wit, his criticism of Christianity, especially the Roman Catholic Church, and his advocacy of freedom of religion, freedom of speech, and separation of church and state.
Voltaire was a versatile and prolific writer, producing works in almost every literary form, including plays, poems, novels, essays and historical and scientific works. He wrote more than 20,000 letters and more than 2,000 books and pamphlets. He was an outspoken advocate of civil liberties, despite the risk this placed him in under the st...
Read Full Biography
- The Origin Of Trades
When with a skilful hand Prometheus made
A statue that the human form displayed,
Pandora, his own work, to wed he chose,
And from those two the human race arose. ...
- In Camp Before Philippsburg
Without a bed we now sleep sound
And take our meals upon the ground;
And though the blazing atmosphere
Must dreadful to the eye appear, ...
- From Love To Friendship
If you would have me love once more,
The blissful age of love restore;
From wine's free joys, and lovers' cares,
Relentless time, who no man spares, ...
- To Her Royal Highness, The Princess Of ***
Abeauteous princess often may
Languish in pleasure's season gay;
The empty forms of haughty state
Oft make life tedious to the great....
- Thelema And Macareus
Thelema's lively, all admire
Her charms, but she's too full of fire;
Impatience ever racks her breast,
Her heart a stranger is to rest....
Top 10 most used topics by VoltaireHeart 6 Life 6 I Love You 5 Love 5 Alone 4 Time 4 Away 4 Place 4 Great 4 Soul 3
- I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.
- God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.
- If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent Him.
- He is a hard man who is only just and a sad one who is only wise.
- Anything too stupid to be said is sung.
Comments about Voltaire
- Steve_voltaire: say something along the lines of thank you haven’t heard from you in a while and then they will explain where they’re from and what they’ve been doing that narrows it down
- Gyozaposer: a student raised his hand while writing his essay on voltaire’s candide (we just spent the previous 7 classes reading and discussing candide) to ask me if candide was a play.
- Rambybaloyi: “history never repeats itself; man always does.”- voltaire
- Redseashawty: they don’t put pockets on women’s clothes because we’re not supposed to pay for anything
- Fabre_jaime: whoever has the power to make you believe in lies, has the power to make you commit injustices! voltaire