Who is Tony CampoloAnthony Campolo (born February 25, 1935) is an American sociologist, pastor, author, public speaker and former spiritual advisor to U.S. President Bill Clinton. Campolo is known as one of the most influential leaders in the evangelical left and has been a major proponent of progressive thought and reform within the evangelical community. He has also become a leader of the Red-Letter Christian movement, which aims to put emphasis on the teachings of Jesus. Campolo is a popular commentator on religious, political, and social issues, and has been a guest on programs such as The Colbert Report, The Charlie Rose Show, Larry King Live, Nightline, Crossfire, Politically Incorrect and The Hour.
Early life and education
Campolo graduated from Eastern College in 1956, and la...
Read Full Biography of Tony Campolo
Tony Campolo Poems
Top 10 most used topics by Tony Campolo
Tony Campolo Quotes
- I propose that the government should get out of the business of marrying people and, instead, only give legal status to civil unions.
- Those issues are biblical issues: to care for the sick, to feed the hungry, to stand up for the oppressed. I contend that if the evangelical community became more biblical, everything would change.
- Sadly, we do a much better job of making people feel guilty than we do of delivering them from the guilt we create. We need to confess this and change our ways.
- The first reason for the preponderant influence of those Evangelicals who define themselves as advocates of Religious Right theological and political ideologies is that they have both the financial means and technological know-how to make widespread use of modern electronic forms of communication.
- While a case can be made for intelligent design, I can't figure out why some Christians are so thrilled about that possibility. First of all, it doesn't prove there's a God. If anything, intelligent design lends support to some form of pantheism that defines God as immanent within nature.
Comments about Tony CampoloCslchsnmore: jesus never says to the poor: ‘come find the church’, but he says to those of us in the church: ‘go into the world and find the poor, hungry, homeless, imprisoned. tony campolo
Cslchsnmore: there are 2,000 verses of scripture that tell us we must be committed to protecting the poor and the oppressed... there is no concern of scripture that is addressed so often and so powerfully as reaching out to the poor. tony campolo
Cslchsnmore: often, we ignore the fact that our spiritual condition and psychological state of mind are highly affected by what is happening to us physically. sometimes depression is simply the result of exhaustion. tony campolo
Josiahhawthorne: jess told me that tony campolo sounds like a slightly calmer lewis black and now i can’t unhear it.
Theb0neless1: "the church is a whore, but she's my mother." –tony campolo, letters to a young evangelical
Read All Comments