Who is Thomas PaineThomas Paine (born Thomas Pain) (February 9, 1737 [O.S. January 29, 1736][Note 1] – June 8, 1809) was an English-born American political activist, philosopher, political theorist, and revolutionary. He authored Common Sense (1776) and The American Crisis (1776–1783), the two most influential pamphlets at the start of the American Revolution, and helped inspire the patriots in 1776 to declare independence from Great Britain. His ideas reflected Enlightenment-era ideals of transnational human rights. Historian Saul K. Padover described him as "a corsetmaker by trade, a journalist by profession, and a propagandist by inclination".
Born in Thetford in the English county of Norfolk, Paine migrated to the British American colonies in 1774 with the help of Benjam...
Read Full Biography
Thomas Paine Poems
Top 10 most used topics by Thomas Paine
Thomas Paine Quotes
- The greatest remedy for anger is delay.
- Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil in its worst state, an intolerable one.
- Society in every state is a blessing, but government, even in its best stage, is but a necessary evil in its worst state an intolerable one.
- I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.
- 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.
Comments about Thomas Paine
- Chuckcanady: the real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection. - thomas paine
- Astoraaron: alliance between germans and african americans at a mass meeting in the german institute, cincinnati, december 1859. the "avatar of freedom" here is thomas paine.
- Robertbeene1: thomas paine: ‘these are the times that try men’s souls’ -
- Croydonconst: “our next imperative is to become evangelists. we will be mistreated by the media and censored on line, so commence pamphleteering and try to bring one person to reason at a time. it worked well for martin luther and thomas paine”
- Iwelsh: adam smith was an extremist. confucius was an extremist who could not get hired by those in power. jesus was an extremist. muhammed was an extremist. thomas paine was an extremist. luther was an extremist, and so was mlk.