Who is Thomas MacdonaghThomas Stanislaus MacDonagh (Irish: Tomás Anéislis Mac Donnchadha; 1 February 1878 – 3 May 1916) was an Irish political activist, poet, playwright, educationalist and revolutionary leader. He was one of the seven leaders of the Easter Rising of 1916, a signatory of the Proclamation of the Irish Republic and Commandant of the 2nd Battalion, Dublin Brigade of the Irish Volunteers, which fought in Jacob's biscuit factory. He was executed for his part in the Rising at the age of thirty-eight.
MacDonagh was assistant headmaster at St. Enda's School, Scoil Éanna, and lecturer in English at University College Dublin. He was a member of the Gaelic League, where he befriended Patrick Pearse and Eoin MacNeill. He was a founding member of the Irish Volunteers with MacNeill an...
Read Full Biography
Thomas Macdonagh Poems
- Wishes For My Son, Born On Saint Cecilia's Day, 1912
Now, my son, is life for you,
And I wish you joy of it,-
Joy of power in all you do,
Deeper passion, better wit...
- The Stars Stand Up In The Air
The stars up in the air,
The sun and the moon are gone,
The strand of its waters is bare.
And her sway is swept from the swan....
- On A Poet Patriot
His songs were a little phrase
Of eternal song,
Drowned in the harping of lays
More loud and long....
I dreamt last night of you, John-John,
And thought you called to me;
And when I woke this morning, John,
Yourself I hoped to see;...
Top 10 most used topics by Thomas MacdonaghNever 2 Share 2 Live 2 Mind 2 Song 2 I Love You 2 Good 2 Night 2 Alone 2 Single 2
Thomas Macdonagh Quotes
Comments about Thomas Macdonagh
- Philipcotterart: thomas macdonagh 1878 – 1916 third signatory of the irish proclamation. oil on canvas. "while ireland lives, the brain and the brawn of her manhood will strive to destroy the last vestige of british rule in her territory."
- Tips_teddy: 2/2 ascot 2:55 palmers hill, 11/4 - 2pt win haydock 3:10 small present, 7/2 - 2pt win haydock 3:35 thomas macdonagh, 11/2 - 2pt win
- Horseracingrc: thomas macdonagh write up
- Horseracinggfb: saturday 22nd january haydock 12.50 - shakem up'arry 1.25 - richmond lake 2.00 - navajo pass 2.35 - kalooki 3.10 - teescomponents lad 3.45 - thomas macdonagh 4.15 - feivel
- Irishnhtips: haydock 12:50 shakem up'arry 1:25 might i (ew) 2:00 navajo pass 2:35 empire steel (ew) 3:10 the brimming party 3:45 thomas macdonagh (ew) 4:15 sacre pierre