Who is Thomas CampionThomas Campion (sometimes Campian; 12 February 1567 – 1 March 1620) was an English composer, poet, and physician. He wrote over a hundred lute songs, masques for dancing, and an authoritative technical treatise on music.
Life Campion was born in London, the son of John Campion, a clerk of the Court of Chancery, and Lucy (née Searle – daughter of Laurence Searle, one of the Queen's serjeants-at-arms). Upon the death of Campion's father in 1576, his mother married Augustine Steward, dying soon afterwards. His stepfather assumed charge of the boy and sent him, in 1581, to study at Peterhouse, Cambridge as a "gentleman pensioner"; he left the university after four years without taking a degree. He later entered Gray's Inn to study law in 1586. However, he ...
Read Full Biography
Thomas Campion Poems
- Winter Nights Enlarge
Now winter nights enlarge
The number of their hours,
And clouds their storms discharge
Upon the airy towers. ...
- Thrice Toss Those Oaken Ashes In The Air
Thrice toss those oaken ashes in the air;
Thrice sit thou mute in this enchanted chair;
Then thrice three times tie up this true love's knot,
And murmur soft: "She will, or she will not." ...
- The Garden
There is a garden in her face,
Where roses and white lilies grow;
A heavenly paradise is that place,
Wherein all pleasant fruits do flow. ...
- The Measure Of Beauty
Give Beauty all her right,
She's not to one form tied;
Each shape yields fair delight,
Where her perfections bide: ...
- View Me, Lord, A Work Of Thine
View me, Lord, a work of thine!
Shall I then lie downed in night?
Might thy grace in me but shine,
I should seem made all of light. ...
Top 10 most used topics by Thomas CampionI Love You 15 Love 15 Beauty 13 Sweet 8 Heaven 7 Music 7 Heart 7 Delight 6 Time 6 White 6
Thomas Campion Quotes
Comments about Thomas Campion
- Zackheisey: we still have movies coming this year from paul thomas anderson, wes anderson, jane campion, joel coen, guillermo del toro, cary fukanaga, ridley scott (x2), steven spielberg, denis villeneuve, lana wachowski, edgar wright and chloe zhao. among many others
- Tammytu78097268: thomas campion - songs and masques edited by a.h. bullen 1903 hardcover
- Amg_review: best director kenneth branagh - belfast jane campion - the power of the dog joel coen - the tragedy of macbeth paul thomas anderson - licorice pizza denis villeneuve - dune
- Adangerc: director paul thomas anderson (licorice pizza) jane campion (the power of the dog) pablo larrain (spencer) steven spielberg (west side story) denis villeneuve (dune)
- Account13445671: best director- 1- jane campion (the power of dog) 2- denis villenueve (dune) 3- kenneth branagh (belfast) 4- paul thomas anderson (licorice pizza) 5- guillermo del toro (nightmare alley)