Who is Richard Harris BarhamRichard Harris Barham (6 December 1788 – 17 June 1845) was an English cleric of the Church of England, a novelist and a humorous poet. He was known generally by his pseudonym Thomas Ingoldsby and as the author of The Ingoldsby Legends.
Life Richard Harris Barham was born in Canterbury. When he was seven years old his father died, leaving him a small estate, part of which was the manor of Tappington, in Denton, Kent, mentioned so frequently in his later publication The Ingoldsby Legends. At the age of nine he was sent to St Paul's School, but his studies were interrupted by an accident which partially crippled his arm for life. Thus deprived of the power of vigorous bodily activity, he became a great reader and diligent student.
During 1807 he en...
Read Full Biography
Richard Harris Barham Poems
- Look At The Clock!: Patty Morgan The Milkmaid's Story
'Look at the Clock!' quoth Winifred Pryce,
As she open'd the door to her husband's knock, ...
- The Execution: A Sporting Anecdote Hon. Mr. Sucklethumbkin's Story
My Lord Tomnoddy got up one day;
It was half after two,
He had nothing to do,
So his Lordship rang for his cabriolet. ...
- The Black Mousquetaire: A Legend Of France
Francois Xavier Auguste was a gay Mousquetaire,
The Pride of the Camp, the delight of the Fair:
He'd a mien so distingu and so dbonnaire,
And shrugg'd with a grace so recherch and rare, ...
- The Cynotaph
Poor Tray charmant!
Poor Tray de mon Ami!
Dog-bury, and Vergers.
- The Ghost
There stands a City,, neither large nor small,
Its air and situation sweet and pretty;
It matters very little if at all
Whether its denizens are dull or witty, ...
Top 10 most used topics by Richard Harris BarhamGreat 21 Never 19 Head 19 Time 18 Door 17 Good 17 Long 15 Place 15 Poor 15 Lady 14
Richard Harris Barham Quotes
Comments about Richard Harris Barham
- Drrabbitfunk: richard harris barham “the spectre of tappington” (part 1)
- Tombstonestea: "the cynotaph" – the ghost of a bespectacled woman chases the ghost of a dog by moonlight through the tombs of a cemetery, a circa 1848 woodcut from the ingoldsby legends, a collection of myths, legends, ghost stories, and poetry by english clergyman richard harris barham.
- Findhaunts: ghosts, like ladies, never speak till spoke to. ~richard harris barham
- Raptisrarebooks: one of many new arrivals: first edition, first issue of richard harris barham's the ingoldsby legends. learn more:
- Vickygiavasi: from ingoldsby legends by thomas ingoldsby (richard harris barham), 1890.