Who is Ralph Waldo EmersonRalph Waldo Emerson (May 25, 1803 – April 27, 1882) was an American essayist, lecturer, philosopher, and poet who led the transcendentalist movement of the mid-19th century. He was seen as a champion of individualism and a prescient critic of the countervailing pressures of society, and he disseminated his thoughts through dozens of published essays and more than 1,500 public lectures across the United States.
Emerson gradually moved away from the religious and social beliefs of his contemporaries, formulating and expressing the philosophy of transcendentalism in his 1836 essay "Nature". Following this work, he gave a speech entitled "The American Scholar" in 1837, which Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr. considered to be America's "intellectual Declaration of Independence."
Read Full Biography
Ralph Waldo Emerson Poems
- Fragments On The Poet And The Poetic Gift
There are beggars in Iran and Araby,
SAID was hungrier than all; ...
All day the waves assailed the rock,
I heard no church-bell chime,
The sea-beat scorns the minster clock
And breaks the glass of Time....
In the turbulent beauty
Of a gusty Autumn day,
Poet on a sunny headland
Sighed his soul away. ...
- Written At Rome
Alone in Rome. Why, Rome is lonely too;--
Besides, you need not be alone; the soul
Shall have society of its own rank.
Be great, be true, and all the Scipios, ...
Henceforth, please God, forever I forego
The yoke of men's opinions. I will be
Light-hearted as a bird, and live with God.
I find him in the bottom of my heart, ...
Top 10 most used topics by Ralph Waldo EmersonNature 59 God 53 Sweet 53 Love 53 I Love You 53 Good 52 Never 51 Life 49 Heart 47 Earth 47
Ralph Waldo Emerson Quotes
- Whoso would be a man must be a nonconformist.
- When you strike at a king, you must kill him.
- What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.
- What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us.
- We find delight in the beauty and happiness of children that makes the heart too big for the body.
Comments about Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Haejln: the only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be. —ralph waldo emerson
- Gvesbot: ralph waldo emerson be like: no homo
- Ezuiequotes: "write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year." - ralph waldo emerson
- Rubyredslider: “adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.” ― ralph waldo emerson –
- 2l3dnuxtnarw1ok: trust men and they will be true to you; treat them greatly and they will show themselves great. ralph waldo emerson