Who is Mary Darby RobinsonMary Robinson (née Darby; 27 November 1757? – 26 December 1800) was an English actress, poet, dramatist, novelist, and celebrity figure. During her lifetime she was known as "the English Sappho". She earned her nickname "Perdita" for her role as Perdita (heroine of Shakespeare's The Winter's Tale) in 1779. She was the first public mistress of King George IV while he was still Prince of Wales.
Contents BiographyEarly life Robinson was born in Bristol, England to Nicholas Darby, a naval captain, and his wife Hester (née Vanacott) who had married at Donyatt, Somerset, in 1749, and was baptised 'Po...
Read Full Biography
Mary Darby Robinson Poems
- Sonnet Xxxix: Prepare Your Wreaths
Prepare your wreaths, Aonian maids divine,
To strew the tranquil bed where I shall sleep;
In tears, the myrtle and the laurel steep,
And let Erato's hand the trophies twine. ...
- Sonnet Xxxii: Blest As The Gods
Blest as the Gods! Sicilian Maid is he,
The youth whose soul thy yielding graces charm;
Who bound, O! thraldom sweet! by beauty's arm,
In idle dalliance fondly sports with thee! ...
- Sonnet I: Favour'd By Heav'n
Favour'd by Heav'n are those, ordain'd to taste
The bliss supreme that kindles fancy's fire;
Whose magic fingers sweep the muses' lyre,
In varying cadence, eloquently chaste! ...
- Sonnet To Ingratitude
He that's ungrateful, has no guilt but one;
All other crimes may pass for virtues in him.
- Stanzas To Love
TELL ME, LOVE, when I rove o'er some far distant plain,
Shall I cherish the passion that dwells in my breast?
Or will ABSENCE subdue the keen rigours of pain,
And the swift wing of TIME bring the balsam of rest? ...
Top 10 most used topics by Mary Darby RobinsonHeart 80 Love 73 I Love You 73 Mind 65 Soul 62 Soft 58 Sonnet 55 Night 53 Tear 53 Away 49
Mary Darby Robinson Quotes
Comments about Mary Darby Robinson
- Sharonlathan: mary darby robinson | sharon lathan, novelist. the bio of famed actress mary darby robinson, a woman of tremendous influence.
- Rob_aldridge: january’ by mary darby robinson (1795)
- Sharonlathan: mary darby robinson | sharon lathan, novelist. mary darby robinson: poet, actress, notorious adulteress, novelist, feminist. a woman who made an impact, for better or worse.
- Nicolasgold1: best disney live-action films: treasure island, 20,000 leagues under the sea, darby o'gill and the little people, pollyanna, swiss family robinson, the absent-minded professor, mary poppins, bedknobs and broomsticks, the black hole, and tron.
- U_riel_steve: ode to envy by - mary darby robinson
Write your comment about Mary Darby Robinson
esorts: This came straight from wikipedia