Who is Lord ChesterfieldPhilip Dormer Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield, (22 September 1694 – 24 March 1773) was a British statesman, diplomat, and man of letters, and an acclaimed wit of his time.
He was born in London to Philip Stanhope, 3rd Earl of Chesterfield, and Lady Elizabeth Savile, and known as Lord Stanhope until the death of his father, in 1726. Following the death of his mother in 1708, Stanhope was raised mainly by his grandmother, the Marchioness of Halifax. Educated at Trinity Hall, Cambridge, he left just over a year into his studies, after focusing on languages and oration. He subsequently embarked on the Grand Tour of the Continent, to complete his education as a nobleman, by exposure to the cultural legacies of Classical antiquity and the Renaissance, an...
Read Full Biography of Lord Chesterfield
Lord Chesterfield Poems
Top 10 most used topics by Lord Chesterfield
Lord Chesterfield Quotes
- The heart never grows better by age I fear rather worse, always harder. A young liar will be an old one, and a young knave will only be a greater knave as he grows older.
- In seeking wisdom thou art wise in imagining that thou hast attained it - thou art a fool.
- Swift speedy time, feathered with flying hours, Dissolves the beauty of the fairest brow.
- Patience is the most necessary quality for business, many a man would rather you heard his story than grant his request.
- I find, by experience, that the mind and the body are more than married, for they are most intimately united and when one suffers, the other sympathizes.
Comments about Lord ChesterfieldKumi__69: "as lord chesterfield said of the generals of his day, 'i only hope that when the enemy reads the list of their names, he trembles as i do.' " - duke of wellington
Barbarakayi: "know the true value of time; snatch, seize, and enjoy every moment of it." --lord chesterfield
Candyfrank8: if we do not plant knowledge when young, it will give us no shade when we are old. - lord chesterfield
Ancientwisdomhq: "[common sense] is the best sense i know of." - lord chesterfield
Sathishgillan: "know the true value of time; snatch, seize, and enjoy every moment of it." --lord chesterfield
Read All Comments