Who is Karen ArmstrongKaren Armstrong (born 14 November 1944) is a British author and commentator of Irish Catholic descent known for her books on comparative religion. A former Roman Catholic religious sister, she went from a conservative to a more liberal and mystical Christian faith. She attended St Anne's College, Oxford, while in the convent and majored in English. She left the convent in 1969. Her work focuses on commonalities of the major religions, such as the importance of compassion and the Golden Rule.
Armstrong received the US$100,000 TED Prize in February 2008. She used that occasion to call for the creation of a Charter for Compassion, which was unveiled the following year.
Armstrong was born at Wildmoor, Worcestershire, into a family of Irish ances...
Read Full Biography of Karen Armstrong
Karen Armstrong Poems
Top 10 most used topics by Karen Armstrong
Karen Armstrong Quotes
- We have domesticated God's transcendence. We often learn about God at about the same time as we are learning about Santa Claus but our ideas about Santa Claus change, mature and become more nuanced, whereas our ideas of God can remain at a rather infantile level.
- Islam is a religion of success. Unlike Christianity, which has as its main image, in the west at least, a man dying in a devastating, disgraceful, helpless death.
- When violence becomes imbedded in a region, then this affects everything. It affects your dreams, your fantasies and relationships, and your religion becomes violent, too.
- Mohammed was not an apparent failure. He was a dazzling success, politically as well as spiritually, and Islam went from strength to strength to strength.
- Ever since the Crusades, when Christians from western Europe were fighting holy wars against Muslims in the near east, western people have often perceived Islam as a violent and intolerant faith - even though when this prejudice took root Islam had a better record of tolerance than Christianity.
Comments about Karen Armstrong1190kex: thanks to a&g's michaelangelo for bringing us this clip of the year candidate, "karen of the year awards". now now now!
Gabrielsencial: sacred nature with karen armstrong
Abuatiyat59: “in compassion, when we feel with the other, we dethrone ourselves from the center of our world and we put another person there.” –karen armstrong
Bahriarnas257: “in compassion, when we feel with the other, we dethrone ourselves from the center of our world and we put another person there.” –karen armstrong
Azooz22fa3: “in compassion, when we feel with the other, we dethrone ourselves from the center of our world and we put another person there.” –karen armstrong
Read All Comments