Who is Joyce KilmerAlfred Joyce Kilmer (December 6, 1886 – July 30, 1918) was an American writer and poet mainly remembered for a short poem titled "Trees" (1913), which was published in the collection Trees and Other Poems in 1914. Though a prolific poet whose works celebrated the common beauty of the natural world as well as his Roman Catholic religious faith, Kilmer was also a journalist, literary critic, lecturer, and editor. While most of his works are largely unknown, a select few of his poems remain popular and are published frequently in anthologies. Several critics—including both Kilmer's contemporaries and modern scholars—have disparaged Kilmer's work as being too simple and overly sentimental, and suggested that his style was far too traditional, even archaic. Many writers, includi...
Read Full Biography
Joyce Kilmer Poems
- Ballade Of My Lady's Beauty
Squire Adam had two wives, they say,
Two wives had he, for his delight,
He kissed and clypt them all the day
And clypt and kissed them all the night. ...
- The Ballade Of Butterflies
Because we never build a nest
And no one of us ever sings,
We are the butt of every jest
That strutting loud-mouthed robin flings. ...
- Servant Girl And Grocer's Boy
Her lips' remark was: "Oh, you kid!"
Her soul spoke thus (I know it did):
"O king of realms of endless joy, ...
- St. Alexis, Patron Of Beggars
We who beg for bread as we daily tread
Country lane and city street,
Let us kneel and pray on the broad highway
To the saint with the vagrant feet....
- Love's Lantern
Because the road was steep and long
And through a dark and lonely land,...
Top 10 most used topics by Joyce KilmerGod 30 I Love You 25 Love 25 Face 24 Heart 21 Never 21 White 20 Life 20 Place 19 Night 19
Joyce Kilmer QuotesRead All Quotes
Comments about Joyce Kilmer
- Etowahdoma1: joyce kilmer | poetry foundation
- Vintagephilly: check out vintage postcard joyce camp u.s. army kilmer post headquarters post card rppc
- 1000_facedhero: "poems are made by fools like me, but only god can make a tree." - joyce kilmer
- Playcritically: i just read joyce kilmer's "trees" and was transported back to my english lit years where reading hundreds upon hundreds of mediocre poems by amateur poets made me loathe the entire form.
- Nbcitycenter: joyce kilmer park - “move well in the park” with livewellnb & rwjfitandwell - new brunswick ➡️➡️