Who is Joyce KilmerAlfred Joyce Kilmer (December 6, 1886 – July 30, 1918) was an American writer and poet mainly remembered for a short poem titled "Trees" (1913), which was published in the collection Trees and Other Poems in 1914. Though a prolific poet whose works celebrated the common beauty of the natural world as well as his Roman Catholic religious faith, Kilmer was also a journalist, literary critic, lecturer, and editor. While most of his works are largely unknown, a select few of his poems remain popular and are published frequently in anthologies. Several critics—including both Kilmer's contemporaries and modern scholars—have disparaged Kilmer's work as being too simple and overly sentimental, and suggested that his style was far too traditional, even archaic. Many writers, includi...
Read Full Biography
Joyce Kilmer Poems
- Ballade Of My Lady's Beauty
Squire Adam had two wives, they say,
Two wives had he, for his delight,
He kissed and clypt them all the day
And clypt and kissed them all the night. ...
- The Ballade Of Butterflies
Because we never build a nest
And no one of us ever sings,
We are the butt of every jest
That strutting loud-mouthed robin flings. ...
- Servant Girl And Grocer's Boy
Her lips' remark was: "Oh, you kid!"
Her soul spoke thus (I know it did):
"O king of realms of endless joy, ...
- St. Alexis, Patron Of Beggars
We who beg for bread as we daily tread
Country lane and city street,
Let us kneel and pray on the broad highway
To the saint with the vagrant feet....
- Love's Lantern
Because the road was steep and long
And through a dark and lonely land,...
Top 10 most used topics by Joyce KilmerGod 30 I Love You 25 Love 25 Face 24 Heart 21 Never 21 White 20 Life 20 Place 19 Night 19
Joyce Kilmer QuotesRead All Quotes
Comments about Joyce Kilmer
- Cityofnewbruns: hydrant flushing resumes tues night at 10 p.m. for livingston ave., joyce kilmer ave. & surrounding streets. any water discoloration is temporary. water is safe to consume but residents may wish to run faucets until clear. do not do laundry when discoloration is present.
- Backroadplanet: hike a figure-8 trail through giant trees in north carolina’s joyce kilmer memorial forest, honoring the poet of the beloved poem “trees.” read here: ➡️
- Cityofnewbruns: scheduled road closures for monday october 18: -full closure of french st. between paterson st. & joyce kilmer ave. starting at 7 p.m. -landing lane bridge. -george st. between albany and bayard streets. -partial closure of baldwin st. between french street & jersey avenue.
- Rfbogardus: it’s all poetry, but it is not all necessarily good poetry. that judgment will shake out in time. after all, who remembers rod mckuen? or joyce kilmer—“a poem as lovely as a tree?”
- Ushavishwakarma: i think that i shall never see a poem lovely as a tree. - joyce kilmer