Who is C. S. LewisClive Staples Lewis (29 November 1898 – 22 November 1963) was a British writer and lay theologian. He held academic positions in English literature at both Oxford University (Magdalen College, 1925–1954) and Cambridge University (Magdalene College, 1954–1963). He is best known for his works of fiction, especially The Screwtape Letters, The Chronicles of Narnia, and The Space Trilogy, and for his non-fiction Christian apologetics, such as Mere Christianity, Miracles, and The Problem of Pain.
Lewis and fellow novelist J. R. R. Tolkien were close friends. They both served on the English faculty at Oxford University and were active in the informal Oxford literary group known as the Inklings. According to Lewis's memoir Surprised by Joy, he was baptised in the Chu...
Read Full Biography
C. S. Lewis Poems
- World's Desire
Love, there is a castle built in a country desolate,
On a rock above a forest where the trees are grim and great,
Blasted with the lightning sharp-giant boulders strewn between,
And the mountains rise above, and the cold ravine...
Roland is dead, Cuchulain's crest is low,
The battered war-rear wastes and turns to rust,
And Helen's eyes and Iseult's lips are dust
And dust the shoulders and the breasts of snow....
- Tu Ne Quaesieris
For all the lore of Lodge and Myers
I cannot heal my torn desires,
Nor hope for all that man can speer
To make the riddling earth grow clear....
- To Sleep
I will find out a place for thee, O Sleep-
A hidden wood among the hill-tops green,
Full of soft streams and little winds that creep
The murmuring boughs between....
- The Witch
Trapped amid the woods with guile
They've led her bound in fetters vile
To death, a deadlier sorceress
Than any born for earth's distress...
Top 10 most used topics by C. S. LewisNight 21 God 16 Away 16 Green 15 Delight 14 Sea 13 Earth 13 Long 12 Head 12 Lonely 12
C. S. Lewis Quotes
- Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? I thought I was the only one.
- God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing.
- A pleasure is not full grown until it is remembered.
- Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good.
- Five senses; an incurably abstract intellect; a haphazardly selective memory; a set of preconceptions and assumptions so numerous that I can never examine more than minority of them - never become conscious of them all. How much of total reality can such an apparatus let through?
Comments about C. S. Lewis
- Inixmia5_1415: “friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art.... it has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival.” ― c.s. lewis
- Kevin_r_holmes: 10% done with perelandra, by c.s. lewis
- Kendallgrier2: you are never to old to set another goal or to dream a new dream. ⁃c.s. lewis
- Between2worlds: reread c.s. lewis's "the inner ring" and you will feel read.
- Linojames2: the ugliest man alive is an angel of beauty compared with the loveliest of the dead. c.s lewis- surprised by joy -p21