Who is Joseph SkipseyJoseph Skipsey (1832 – 1903) was a Northumberland born poet and songwriter in the middle and late 19th century. His best known work is arguably "The Hartley Calamity" about the Hartley Colliery Disaster, a devastating mining accident in Hartley, Northumberland, England in 1862 in which 204 lives were lost.
He was known as "The Pitman Poet".
Birth and early life Joseph Skipsey was born in Percy Village (generally known after the name of the colliery Percy Main), in the Parish of Tynemouth on 17 March 1832. His father Cuthbert, an overman at Percy Main Colliery, and mother, Isabella, had many children, of whom Joseph was the eighth.
Joseph Skipsey faced an early tragedy when his father, Cuthbert, was shot dead on 8 July 1832 in the ...
Read Full Biography
Joseph Skipsey Poems
- Uncle Bob
OLD Uncle Bob lay on the settle,
At eventide, while on the hob,
'Roe-tee-riti-too' sang the kettle,
And charmed the dear heart of old Bob. ...
- My Loved One
MY loved one appears
In a vision by night,
The loveliest jewel
Ever gladdened the sight; ...
- The Two-fold Suprise
SHE snapt her fingers, on her heel,
Her sweet boot-heel, she turned and left me;
What did I feel?â??What could I feel,
At what of paradise had reft me? ...
- The Social Glass
AIRâ??'Rossen the Beau.'
COME fill up the glass, and tho' never ...
- All Is Vanity
FROM all that I have seen or heard
This world, is but an empty show,
And only can the heart afford
What tends to bitter strife and woe; ...
Top 10 most used topics by Joseph SkipseyHeart 73 Night 47 Sweet 45 Never 43 Away 37 Soul 37 Life 37 Love 35 I Love You 35 Bright 32
Joseph Skipsey Quotes
Comments about Joseph Skipsey
- John_tomaney: joseph skipsey died on the 3rd september 1903 at the home of son, cuthbert skipsey, at 5 kells gardens, low fell, gateshead. the house still stands but there is nothing to mark the residence of the great man.
- Coalmininginle1: chris harrison at the bridge - the hartley calamity (joseph skipsey and chris harrison
- Thetinkerboots: joseph skipsey, love without hope
- Workingclasslit: new podcast episode, about the poet and coal miner from the north east of england, joseph skipsey, is now available for everyone. listen to it on the link below, or on spotify, apple, or wherever you listen to your podcasts
- Gordontoon: and there is an open access version available here: