Who is John NewtonJohn Newton (/ˈnjuːtən/; 4 August [O.S. 24 July] 1725 – 21 December 1807) was an English Anglican clergyman and abolitionist who served as a sailor in the Royal Navy for a period, and later as the captain of slave ships. He became ordained as an evangelical Anglican cleric, served Olney, Buckinghamshire, for two decades, and also wrote hymns, known for "Amazing Grace" and "Glorious Things of Thee Are Spoken".
Newton started his career at sea at a young age, and worked on slave ships in the slave trade for several years. After experiencing a period of Christian conversion Newton eventually renounced his trade and became a prominent supporter of abolitionism, living to see Britain's abolition of the African slave trade in 1807, just before his death.
Read Full Biography
John Newton Poems
- Woman Of Canaan
Prayer an answer will obtain,
Though the Lord awhile delay;
None shall seek his face in vain,
None be empty sent away. ...
- Faith's Review And Expectation (amazing Grace)
1 AMAZING grace! (how sweet the sound!)
2 That sav'd a wretch like me! ...
- At The Close Of The Year
Let hearts and tongues unite,
And loud thanksgivings raise:
'Tis duty, mingled with delight,
To sing the Saviour's praise. ...
- The Book Of Creation
The book of nature open lies,
With much instruction stored;
But till the Lord anoints our eyes
We cannot read a word. ...
- Walking With God
By faith in Christ I walk with God,
With heav'n, my journeys'-end, in view;
Supported by his staff and rod,
My road is safe and pleasant too, ...
Top 10 most used topics by John NewtonLove 74 I Love You 74 Heart 61 Soul 60 God 58 Faith 42 Life 38 Death 38 Fear 37 Poor 36
John Newton Quotes
- If I ever reach heaven I expect to find three wonders there first, to meet some I had not thought to see there second, to miss some I had expected to see there and third, the greatest wonder of all, to find myself there.
- When I was young, I was sure of many things now there are only two things of which I am sure one is, that I am a miserable sinner and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons.
Comments about John Newton
- Radiolafusion: olivia newton-john - physical (official video)
- Koreanbinch: song du jour: "you're the one that i want" - olivia newton-john & john travolta when i was little, i didn't rlly know what they were saying in the chorus, so i'd just say "walla-walla! walla, walla, walla. ooh ooh ooooh, honey!"
- Tptvencore: final call klaxon! night boat to dublin starring robert newton, dulicma starring john mills, and the bridal path starring bill travers all come off of the service wednesday at midnight. log onto to
- Copland11: olivia newton-john - a little more love (deans edit)
- Banks1999: the law of john newton … the longer i live the two most important truths: i am a great sinner and christ is a great saviour!