Who is John DrydenJohn Dryden (/ˈdraɪdən/; 19 August [O.S. 9 August] 1631 – 12 May [O.S. 1 May] 1700) was an English poet, literary critic, translator, and playwright who was made England's first Poet Laureate in 1668.
He is seen as dominating the literary life of Restoration England to such a point that the period came to be known in literary circles as the Age of Dryden. Walter Scott called him "Glorious John".
Early life Dryden was born in the village rectory of Aldwincle near Thrapston in Northamptonshire, where his maternal grandfather was rector of All Saints. He was the eldest of fourteen children born to Erasmus Dryden and wife Mary Pickering, paternal grandson of Sir Erasmus Dryden, 1st Baronet (1553–1632), and wife Frances Wilk...
Read Full Biography
John Dryden Poems
- Epilogue For "the King's House."
We act by fits and starts, like drowning men,
But just peep up, and then pop down again.
Let those who call us wicked change their sense;
For never men lived more on Providence. ...
- The Fair Stranger.
Happy and free, securely blest, ...
- Religio Laici; Or, A Layman's Faith
THE PREFACE. ...
- Prologue To "albumazar."
To say, this comedy pleased long ago,
Is not enough to make it pass you now.
Yet, gentlemen, your ancestors had wit;
When few men censured, and when fewer writ. ...
- Prologue To "the Loyal General;" By Mr Tate, 1680
If yet there be a few that take delight
In that which reasonable men should write;
To them alone we dedicate this night.
The rest may satisfy their curious itch ...
Top 10 most used topics by John DrydenLove 77 I Love You 77 Great 70 Long 67 True 59 Good 55 Place 54 Play 54 Young 52 Time 51
John Dryden Quotes
- Look around the habitable world, how few Know their own good, or knowing it, pursue.
- Happy the man, and happy he alone, He, who can call to-day his own He who, secure within, can say, To-morrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.
- We must beat the iron while it is hot, but we may polish it at leisure.
- And virtue, though in rags, will keep me warm.
- You see through love, and that deludes your sight, As what is straight seems crooked through the water.
Comments about John Dryden
- Mompreneursww: “we first make our habits, and then our habits make us.” john dryden establishing the right habits will help us to achieve our goals easier and effortlessly. the good news is that you are in charge! start today…
- Romerojosem: the coyotes have tendered qualifying offers to ahl players bokondji imama, cam dinesen, dysin mayo, lane pederson and blake speers. dryden hunt, john hayden (both with major nhl time last season) plus frederik gauthier and nate sucese not tendered offers. they can become fas.
- Arthurianbot: in john dryden's masque 'king arthur', excalibur is included among the treasures of britain.
- Smmohit: englit guide 96: a song for st. cecilia’s day by john dryden (quest...
- Romerojosem: coyotes' remaining restricted free agents are forwards dryden hunt, john hayden and lane pederson.