Who is John BurroughsFor other people named John Burroughs, see John Burroughs (disambiguation). John Burroughs John Burroughs (April 3, 1837 – March 29, 1921) was an American naturalist and nature essayist, active in the U.S. conservation movement. The first of his essay collections was Wake-Robin in 1871.
In the words of his biographer Edward Renehan, Burroughs' special identity was less that of a scie...
Read Full Biography
John Burroughs Poems
A wistful note from out the sky,
'Pure, pure, pure,' in plaintive tone,
As if the wand'rer were alone,
And hardly knew to sing or cry. ...
- The Crow
My friend and neighbor through the year,
Self-appointed overseer ...
- The Bobolink
Daisies, clover, buttercup,
Redtop, trefoil, meadowsweet,
Ecstatic pinions, soaring up,
Then gliding down to grassy seat....
- The Partridge
List the booming from afar,
Soft as hum of roving bee,
Vague as when on distant bar
Fall the cataracts of the sea....
- The Coming Of Phoebe
When buckets shine 'gainst maple trees
And dropp by dropp the sap doth flow,
When days are warm, but still nights freeze,
And deep in woods lie drifts of snow,...
Top 10 most used topics by John BurroughsSky 4 Shine 3 Heart 3 Deep 3 I Love You 2 Pure 2 High 2 Brown 2 Morning 2 Fruit 2
John Burroughs Quotes
- The secret of happiness is something to do.
- Blessed is the man who has some congenial work, some occupation in which he can put his heart, and which affords a complete outlet to all the forces there are in him.
- I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see.
- It is always easier to believe than to deny. Our minds are naturally affirmative.
- The very idea of a bird is a symbol and a suggestion to the poet. A bird seems to be at the top of the scale, so vehement and intense his life. . . . The beautiful vagabonds, endowed with every grace, masters of all climes, and knowing no bounds -- how many human aspirations are realised in their free, holiday-lives -- and how many suggestions to the poet in their flight and song
Comments about John Burroughs
- Theblondepi: "the smallest deed is better than the greatest intention." —john burroughs
- Fradvatar: tonight i'm going to rewatch john carter (2012), based on the books by edgar rice burroughs. this film didn't do very well at the cinemas. i blame the almost nonexistent advertising campaign. it's well worth a watch, if you like fantasy/sci-fi movies.
- Notredamerebels: freshmen volleyball wins in 2 vs john burroughs!
- Amandabiers: the pacific league defending champions — john burroughs golf team — is raising $. click this link to donate.
- Stlhssports: john burroughs def. notre dame 25-15, 25-19, 25-8