Who is John BunyanJohn Bunyan (/ˈbʌnjən/; baptised November 30, 1628 – August 31, 1688) was an English writer and Puritan preacher best remembered as the author of the Christian allegory The Pilgrim's Progress. In addition to The Pilgrim's Progress, Bunyan wrote nearly sixty titles, many of them expanded sermons.
Bunyan came from the village of Elstow, near Bedford. He had some schooling and at the age of sixteen joined the Parliamentary Army during the first stage of the English Civil War. After three years in the army he returned to Elstow and took up the trade of tinker, which he had learned from his father. He became interested in religion after his marriage, attending first the parish church and then joining the Bedford Meeting, a nonconformist group in Bedford, an...
Read Full Biography
John Bunyan Poems
- Upon A Looking Glass
In this see thou thy beauty, hast thou any,
Or thy defects, should they be few or many.
Thou may'st, too, here thy spots and freckles see,
Hast thou but eyes, and what their numbers be. ...
- The Sinner And The Spider
What black, what ugly crawling thing art thou?
- The Spirit Of Prayer
Wouldst thou have that good, that blessed mind,
That is so much to heavenly things inclin'd
That it aloft will soar, and always be ...
- Of Moses And His Wife
This Moses was a fair and comely man,
His wife a swarthy Ethiopian;
Nor did his milk-white bosom change her sin.
She came out thence as black as she went in. ...
- Upon The Horse And His Rider
There's one rides very sagely on the road,
Showing that he affects the gravest mode.
Another rides tantivy, or full trot,
To show much gravity he matters not. ...
Top 10 most used topics by John BunyanGod 36 Life 26 Good 23 Time 20 Heart 20 Mind 19 Away 18 I Love You 18 Love 18 Face 17
John Bunyan Quotes
- Prayer opens the heart to God, and it is the means by which the soul, though empty, is filled by God.
Comments about John Bunyan
- Page_upon_page: the life, times, and characteristics of john bunyan (published: 1839) full text:
- Marsellaega_: [bot] “prayer will make a man cease from sin, or sin will entice a man to cease from prayer.” ― john bunyan
- Tmansinho: i want said of me what was said of john bunyan — “if you cut him, he'd bleed scripture!”
- Luvsofl: “it is not the mouth, but the heart that matters in prayer.” ~john bunyan “he who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the spirit is, because he intercedes for the saints according to the will of god.” romans 8:27
- Underwatermoonl: happy birthday to robert kirby! he was the arranger of string sections for nick drake's "five leaves left" and "bryter layter", but also worked with vashti bunyan, elton john, ralph mctell, strawbs, paul weller and elvis costello. rip