Who is John Boyle O'reilly
John Boyle O'Reilly (28 June 1844 – 10 August 1890) was an Irish-American poet, journalist, author and activist. As a youth in Ireland, he was a member of the Irish Republican Brotherhood, or Fenians, for which he was transported to Western Australia. After escaping to the United States, he became a prominent spokesperson for the Irish community and culture, through his editorship of the Boston newspaper The Pilot, his prolific writing, and his lecture tours.
Born in Dowth, O'Reilly moved to his aunt's residence in England as a teenager and became involved in journalism and shortly after became involved in the military. He, however, left the military in 1863 after becoming angry with the military's treatment of the Irish, and returned to Ireland the same ye...
Read Full Biography
John Boyle O'reilly Poems
BLESSED are Pain, the smiter,
And Sorrow, the uniter!
For one afflicted lies-
A symboled sacrifice- ...
- The Dead Who Died For Ireland
The dead who died for Ireland!
Oh, these are living words
To nerve the hearts of patriots -
to steel avenging swords -...
- Released-january, 1878
On the 5th of January,!878, three of the Irish political prisoners, who had been confined since!866, were set at liberty. The released men were received by their fellow-countrymen in London. 'They are well,' said the report, ' but they look prematurely old.'
THEY are free at last! They can face the sun; ...
- Midnight-september 19, 1881
DEATH OF PRESIDENT GARFIELD.
ONCE in a lifetime, we may see the veil ...
- Uncle Ned's Tale: An Old Dragoon's Story
I OFTEN, musing, wander back to days long since gone by,
And far-off scenes and long-lost forms arise to fancy's eye.
A group familiar now I see, who all but one are fled,-
My mother, sister Jane, myself, and dear old Uncle Ned. ...
Top 10 most used topics by John Boyle O'reillyLove 78 Heart 78 I Love You 78 God 72 Never 64 Life 59 Death 58 Face 56 Time 51 Night 46
John Boyle O'reilly Quotes
Comments about John Boyle O'reilly
- Blarneypodcast: fenian prisoners and the songs of the last convict ship. ned of the hill, john boyle o’reilly and exile in the kingdom. the stardust hotel and drogheda boxing club. london squats and jamaican sound systems. secret family recipes and looking at tradition with rose tinted glasses.
- Rainbow0055: "a white rose" by john boyle o'reilly poem animation
- Njoguwambu1: the red rose whispers of passion,. and the white rose breathes of love,oh the red rose is a falcon,. and the white rose is a dove.........john boyle o'reilly
- Lovecarousel: the red rose whispers of passion, and the white rose breathes of love; o, the red rose is a falcon, and the white rose is a dove. - john boyle o'reilly
- Voterubina: “the red rose whispers of passion, and the white rose breathes of love; o, the red rose is a falcon, and the white rose is a dove.” – john boyle o’reilly deserving winner rubina