Who is Caroline Elizabeth Sarah NortonCaroline Elizabeth Sarah Norton (née Sheridan; 22 March 1808 – 15 June 1877) was an English social reformer and author active in the early and mid-nineteenth century. Caroline left her husband in 1836, following which he sued her close friend Lord Melbourne, the then Whig Prime Minister, for criminal conversation (i.e. adultery). The jury threw out the claim, but Caroline was unable to obtain a divorce and was denied access to her three sons. Caroline's intense campaigning led to the passing of the Custody of Infants Act 1839, the Matrimonial Causes Act 1857 and the Married Women's Property Act 1870. Caroline modelled for the fresco of Justice in the House of Lords by Daniel Maclise, who chose her because she was seen by many as a famous victim of injustice.
Read Full Biography
Caroline Elizabeth Sarah Norton Poems
- The Fallen Leaves
WE stand among the fallen leaves,
Young children at our play, ...
- Sonnet Ii
BLESS'D wert thou, whom Death, and not Decay,
Bore from the world on swift and shadowy wings, ...
- Old Friends
HOW are they waned and faded from our hearts,
The old companions of our early days!
Of all the many loved, which name imparts
Regret when blamed, or rapture at its praise? ...
- The Winter-s Walk
MARK'D--as the hours should be, Fate bids us spend
With one illustrious, or a cherish'd friend--
Rich in the value of that double claim,
Since Fame allots the friend a Poet's name,-- ...
- To Ferdinand Seymour
ROSY child, with forehead fair,
Coral lip, and shining hair,
In whose mirthful, clever eyes
Such a world of gladness lies; ...
Top 10 most used topics by Caroline Elizabeth Sarah NortonHeart 92 Light 75 Love 74 I Love You 74 Life 63 Bright 63 Young 57 Sweet 56 Away 53 Earth 52
Caroline Elizabeth Sarah Norton Quotes
Comments about Caroline Elizabeth Sarah Norton
- Wikirandomwalk: caroline elizabeth sarah norton, lady stirling-maxwell (née sheridan; 22 march 1808 – 15 june 1877) was an active english social reformer and author.
- Shreedha__: i do not love thee.. -caroline elizabeth sarah norton
- Twinflamesrch: men rise up against caroline elizabeth sarah norton
- Sansserif_: the arab's farewell to his horse caroline elizabeth sarah norton
- Jprapke: i do not love thee by caroline elizabeth sarah norton i do not love thee!—no! i do not love thee! and yet when thou art absent i am sad; and envy even the bright blue sky above thee, whose quiet stars may see thee and be glad.…