Who is James MacphersonJames Macpherson (Gaelic: Seumas MacMhuirich or Seumas Mac a' Phearsain; 27 October 1736 – 17 February 1796) was a Scottish writer, poet, literary collector and politician, known as the "translator" of the Ossian cycle of epic poems. He was the first Scottish poet to gain an international reputation.
Early life Macpherson was born at Ruthven in the parish of Kingussie in Badenoch, Inverness-shire. In the 1752-3 session, he was sent to King's College, Aberdeen, moving two years later to Marischal College (the two institutions later became the University of Aberdeen); it is also believed that he attended classes at the University of Edinburgh as a divinity student in 1755–56. During his years as a student, he ostensibly wrote over 4,000 l...
Read Full Biography
James Macpherson Poems
- Fragments Of Ancient Poetry, Fragment Vi
Son of the noble Fingal, Oscian,
Prince of men! what tears run down
the cheeks of age? what shades thy
mighty soul? ...
- Fragments Of Ancient Poetry, Fragment Ix
Thou askest, fair daughter of the
isles! whose memory is preserved
in these tombs? The memory of Ronnan
the bold, and Connan the chief of ...
- Fragments Of Ancient Poetry, Fragment Ii
I sit by the mossy fountain; on the
top of the hill of winds. One tree is
rustling above me. Dark waves roll
over the heath. The lake is troubled ...
- Fragments Of Ancient Poetry, Fragment X
It is night; and I am alone, forlorn
on the hill of storms. The wind is
heard in the mountain. The torrent
shrieks down the rock. No hut receives ...
- Fragments Of Ancient Poetry, Fragment Xiii
[Footnote: This is the opening of the epic poem mentioned in the preface. The two following fragments are parts of some episodes of the same work.]
Cuchlaid sat by the wall; by the
tree of the rustling leaf. ...
Top 10 most used topics by James MacphersonVoice 43 Soul 41 Battle 41 Hear 38 Silent 37 King 37 Dark 36 Night 35 Son 34 Rise 33
James Macpherson Quotes
Comments about James Macpherson
- Genusabs: james macpherson is very pleased with the beaufort milkman daughters milking in his beaufort herd in staffordshire, and says “the milkman dtrs are developing into tremendous cows, they are quick to get in-calf and they are milking very well with very good udders, legs & feet.”
- Ruairidhmaciver: the other gaelic-related napoleonic fact that we all need in our lives was that he was besotted by the poems of ossian by james macpherson. he's reported to have carried and read aloud from the italian translation of the poems, by melchiorre cesarotti, with him on his campaigns.
- Cabinradio: the nwt declared a covid-19 outbreak at yellowknife's nj macpherson school with one confirmed case and another four considered "probable."
- Boltstothesb: there are some absolute gems in the chargers front office. guys like kevin kelly, jojo wooden, regis eler, tom mcconnaughey, and james macpherson (many, many more) deserve a lot more praise. i think tom relies on his staff as much as any gm in the league
- Ptmurtong: at ruthven on the trail of ossian and james macpherson’s clan past