Who is James MacphersonJames Macpherson (Gaelic: Seumas MacMhuirich or Seumas Mac a' Phearsain; 27 October 1736 – 17 February 1796) was a Scottish writer, poet, literary collector and politician, known as the "translator" of the Ossian cycle of epic poems. He was the first Scottish poet to gain an international reputation.
Early life Macpherson was born at Ruthven in the parish of Kingussie in Badenoch, Inverness-shire. In the 1752-3 session, he was sent to King's College, Aberdeen, moving two years later to Marischal College (the two institutions later became the University of Aberdeen); it is also believed that he attended classes at the University of Edinburgh as a divinity student in 1755–56. During his years as a student, he ostensibly wrote over 4,000 l...
Read Full Biography
James Macpherson Poems
- Fragments Of Ancient Poetry, Fragment Vi
Son of the noble Fingal, Oscian,
Prince of men! what tears run down
the cheeks of age? what shades thy
mighty soul? ...
- Fragments Of Ancient Poetry, Fragment Ix
Thou askest, fair daughter of the
isles! whose memory is preserved
in these tombs? The memory of Ronnan
the bold, and Connan the chief of ...
- Fragments Of Ancient Poetry, Fragment Ii
I sit by the mossy fountain; on the
top of the hill of winds. One tree is
rustling above me. Dark waves roll
over the heath. The lake is troubled ...
- Fragments Of Ancient Poetry, Fragment X
It is night; and I am alone, forlorn
on the hill of storms. The wind is
heard in the mountain. The torrent
shrieks down the rock. No hut receives ...
- Fragments Of Ancient Poetry, Fragment Xiii
[Footnote: This is the opening of the epic poem mentioned in the preface. The two following fragments are parts of some episodes of the same work.]
Cuchlaid sat by the wall; by the
tree of the rustling leaf. ...
Top 10 most used topics by James MacphersonVoice 43 Soul 41 Battle 41 Hear 38 Silent 37 King 37 Dark 36 Night 35 Son 34 Rise 33
James Macpherson Quotes
Comments about James Macpherson
- Aardvarsk: same guy who wrote the song “pure imagination” from willy wonka is the same guy who wrote nina simone’s banger “feeling good.” and he also wrote “goooooldfingerrrr....” from james bond. his name was leslie bricusse (brick-us), he passed away yesterday at the age of 90. rip king.
- Ruairidhmaciver: one of napoleon’s most beloved books was the poems of ossian by james macpherson. it’s said that he carried a copy of the italian translations of macpherson’s ‘translations’ in his pocket in the midst of battle.
- Cobequidfball: the stage is set for this weekend's final regular season home game vs bayview and the fifty years of cougar football celebration. join us at the james macpherson stadium, sunday oct. 17th at 1 pm. everyone welcome, bring proof of vaccination and spread the word! football!
- Folkloremuseums: the lament of james macphersons fiddle and a mothers grief. read more at our website
- Jturnerentgroup: coming up sunday, october 24th at frankie's jazz club a fundraiser for the fraser macpherson jazz fund feat. the james danderfer quintet! head here for more info!