Who is Isaac WattsStatue of Isaac Watts, Abney Park Cemetery Isaac Watts (17 July 1674 – 25 November 1748) was an English Christian minister (Congregational), hymn writer, theologian, and logician. He was a prolific and popular hymn writer and is credited with some 750 hymns. He is recognized as the "Godfather of English Hymnody"; many of his hymns remain in use today and have been translated into numerous languages.
Read Full Biography
Isaac Watts Poems
- Psalm 133
Lo! what an entertaining sight
Are brethren that agree! ...
- Psalm 119 Part 6
Holiness and comfort from the word.
- Hymn 4 Part 2
The inward witness to Christianity.
1 Jn. 5:10.
- Psalm 69 Part 1
The sufferings of Christ for our salvation.
- Psalm 62
No trust in the creatures; or, Faith in Divine grace and power.
Top 10 most used topics by Isaac WattsGod 390 Love 228 I Love You 228 Soul 159 Earth 148 Power 140 Heart 123 Death 117 High 114 Great 110
Isaac Watts Quotes
- Do not expect to arrive at certainty in every subject which you pursue. There are a hundred things wherein we mortals... must be content with probability, where our best light and reasoning will reach no farther.
- Do not hover always on the surface of things, nor take up suddenly, with mere appearances but penetrate into the depth of matters, as far as your time and circumstances allow, especially in those things which relate to your profession.
- Do not hover always on the surface of things, nor take up suddenly, with mere appearances; but penetrate into the depth of matters, as far as your time and circumstances allow, especially in those things which relate to your profession.
Comments about Isaac Watts
- Jchriswo: i love thy habitation, lord, the temple where thine honors dwell; there shall i hear thine holy word, and there thy works of wonder tell. -isaac watts/ps. 26
- Allisonavebap: pastor andy's blog article on isaac watts' hymn, "joy to the world."
- Mgfchurch: “i believe the promises of god enough to venture an eternity on them.” – isaac watts
- Jchriswo: i lift my soul to god, my trust is in his name; let not my foes that seek my blood still triumph in my shame. from the first dawning light till the dark evening rise, for thy salvation, lord, i wait with ever-longing eyes. -isaac watts/ps. 25
- Jchriswo: the earth forever is the lord's, with adam's numerous race; he rais'd its arches o'er the floods, and built it on the seas... the king of glory! who can tell the wonders of his might! he rules the nations; but to dwell with saints is his delight. -isaac watts/ps. 24