Who is Howard NemerovHoward Nemerov (February 29, 1920 – July 5, 1991) was an American poet. He was twice Poet Laureate Consultant in Poetry to the Library of Congress, from 1963 to 1964 and again from 1988 to 1990. For The Collected Poems of Howard Nemerov (1977), he won the National Book Award for Poetry,
Pulitzer Prize for Poetry,
and Bollingen Prize.
Nemerov was brother to photographer Diane Nemerov Arbus and father to art historian Alexander Nemerov, Professor of the History of Art and American Studies at Stanford University.
Biography Born on Leap Day in New York City, his parents were David Nemerov and Gertrude. The Nemerovs were a Russian Jewish couple who lived in New York City and owned Russek's, a famous Fifth Avenue department store. ...
Read Full Biography
Howard Nemerov Poems
- Walking The Dog
Two universes mosey down the street
Connected by love and a leash and nothing else.
Mostly I look at lamplight through the leaves
While he mooches along with tail up and snout down, ...
- A Life
In a sense.
In no sense!
- Amateurs Of Heaven
Two lovers to a midnight meadow came
High in the hills, to lie there hand and hand
Like effigies and look up at the stars,
The never-setting ones set in the North ...
This admirable gadget, when it is
Wound on a string and spun with steady force,
Maintains its balance on most any smooth
Surface, pleasantly humming as it goes. ...
- The Host, He Says That All Is Well
He didn't want to do it with skill,
He'd had enough of skill. If he never saw
Another villanelle, it would be too soon;
And the same went for sonnets. If it had been ...
Top 10 most used topics by Howard NemerovWorld 20 Time 19 Light 17 Water 14 Long 13 Never 13 Mind 12 Away 11 Stand 10 Life 10
Howard Nemerov Quotes
Comments about Howard Nemerov
- Unboundscript: write what you know. that should leave you with a lot of free time. ~ howard nemerov
- Forgottengpoems: **the contemporaries of morris i'm thinking of are anthony hecht and howard nemerov; the form, the blank verse narrative.
- Isle_us: i know it's not supposed to be about pockets, but what if the poem in your pocket were about pockets, like "pockets" by howard nemerov
- Welfordwrites: write what you know. that should leave you with a lot of free time. howard nemerov
- Skrashen: howard nemerov was twice poet laureate consultant in poetry to the library of congress. national book award and pulitzer prize winner.