Who is HerodotusHerodotus (/hɪˈrɒdətəs/; Ancient Greek: Ἡρόδοτος, Hēródotos, Attic Greek pronunciation: [hɛː.ró.do.tos]; c. 484 – c. 425 BC) was an ancient Greek historian who was born in Halicarnassus in the Persian Empire (modern-day Bodrum, Turkey). He is known for having written the book The Histories (Greek: Ἱστορίαι Historíai), a detailed record of his "inquiry" (ἱστορία historía) on the origins of the Greco-Persian Wars. He is widely considered to have been the first writer to have treated historical subjects using a method of systematic investigation—specifically, by collecting his materials and then critically arranging them into an historiographic narrative. On account of this, he is often referred to as "The Father of His...
Read Full Biography
Top 10 most used topics by Herodotus
- It is clear that not in one thing alone, but in many ways equality and freedom of speech are a good thing.
- He is the best man who, when making his plans, fears and reflects on everything that can happen to him, but in the moment of action is bold.
- Illness strikes men when they are exposed to change.
- Death is a delightful hiding place for weary men.
- Some men give up their designs when they have almost reached the goal While others, on the contrary, obtain a victory by exerting, at the last moment, more vigorous efforts than ever before.
Comments about Herodotus
- Patrickjane3169: the invention of history: herodotus and thucydides
- Jlnfdlang: “of all possessions a friend is the most precious.” – herodotus frankiana admins thankyou
- Cindymalina: and the gap between the culture-focused herodotus and the military-focused
- Beingabdalian: “the worst pain a man can suffer: to have insight into much and power over nothing.” -- herodotus
- Sara_hjelm: i have a few problems of when it comes to the rest, left side, as most books are non fiction 1: anthropology/linguistics/cultural history/art, crafts & architecture/religion and myths 2:geography and travels (what about herodotus?)/natural science/ which order and what first?