Who is Henry VaughanHenry Vaughan (17 April 1621 – 23 April 1695) was a Welsh metaphysical poet, author, translator and physician, who wrote in English. He is chiefly known for the religious poetry contained in Silex Scintillans, published in 1650, with a second part published in 1655. In 1646 his Poems, with the Tenth Satyre of Juvenal Englished was published, followed by a second volume in 1647. Meanwhile, he had been "converted" by reading the religious poet George Herbert and gave up "idle verse". The prose Mount of Olives: or, Solitary Devotions (1652) show the depth of his religious convictions and the authenticity of his poetic genius. Two more volumes of secular verse were published, ostensibly without his sanction; but it is his religious verse that has become acclaimed. He also translate...
Read Full Biography
Henry Vaughan Poems
My God and King! to Thee
I bow my knee;
I bow my troubled soul, and greet
With my foul heart thy holy feet. ...
- The Dwelling-place
What happy secret fountain,
Fair shade or mountain, ...
Bright shadows of true Rest! some shoots of bliss,
Heaven once a week; ...
I cannot reach it; and my striving eye
Dazzles at it, as at eternity.
Were now that chronicle alive,
Those white designs which children drive, ...
- I Walk'd The Other Day
1 I walk'd the other day, to spend my hour,
2 Into a field,
3 Where I sometimes had seen the soil to yield
4 A gallant flow'r; ...
Top 10 most used topics by Henry VaughanLight 35 I Love You 29 Love 29 God 27 Soul 23 Night 21 Sun 19 Dark 19 Life 19 Earth 18
Henry Vaughan Quotes
Comments about Henry Vaughan
- Allonfire: writers inspirational quotes caesar had perished from the world of men had not his sword been rescued by his pen. - henry vaughan
- Davidcranmerun1: field trial, and evaluation of protective influenza vaccines. later that year francis received an invitation from henry f. vaughan to join the newly established school of public health at the university of michigan. during this time at the university of michigan, francis and
- Davidcranmerun1: received an invitation from henry f. vaughan to join the newly established school of public health at the university of michigan. at the university of michigan, francis established a virus laboratory and a department of epidemiology that dealt with a broad range of infectious
- Elsamc1878: “with what deep murmurs through time’s silent stealth doth thy transparent, cool, and wat’ry wealth here flowing fall.”—the waterfall, henry vaughan. a september sojourn to sutton mill dam, st helens, merseyside.
- Reuters: haiti's chief public prosecutor in a letter to the judge overseeing the investigation into the assassination of president jovenel moise, said phone records showed prime minister ariel henry communicated with a key suspect in the killing