Who is Gwendolyn BrooksGwendolyn Elizabeth Brooks (June 7, 1917 – December 3, 2000) was an American poet, author, and teacher. Her work often dealt with the personal celebrations and struggles of ordinary people in her community. She won the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry on May 1, 1950, for Annie Allen, making her the first African American to receive the Pulitzer.
Throughout her prolific writing career, Brooks received many more honors. She was appointed Poet Laureate of Illinois in 1968, a position she held until her death, and what is now the Poet Laureate Consultant in Poetry to the Library of Congress for the 1985–86 term. In 1976, she became the first African-American woman inducted into the American Academy of Arts and Letters.
Brooks was born in Topeka, Kansas and at six-weeks...
Read Full Biography
Gwendolyn Brooks Poems
- A Song In The Front Yard
Iâ??ve stayed in the front yard all my life.
I want a peek at the back
Where itâ??s rough and untended and hungry weed grows.
A girl gets sick of a rose. ...
- A Bronzeville Mother Loiters In Mississippi. Meanwhile, A Mississippi Mother Burns Bacon
From the first it had been like a
Ballad. It had the beat inevitable. It had the blood.
A wildness cut up, and tied in little bunches,
Like the four-line stanzas of the ballads she had never quite ...
- The Good Man
The good man.
He is still enhancer, renouncer.
In the time of detachment,
in the time of the vivid heather and affectionate evil, ...
- Boy Breaking Glass
To Marc Crawford
from whom the commission
Whose broken window is a cry of art
(success, that winks aware ...
- Garbageman: The Man With The Orderly Mind
What do you think of us in fuzzy endeavor, you whose directions are
sterling, whose lunge is straight?
Top 10 most used topics by Gwendolyn BrooksI Love You 15 Love 15 Black 10 Time 10 Sweet 9 Never 8 Home 8 Door 8 Night 8 Sun 7
Gwendolyn Brooks Quotes
- To be in love Is to touch with a lighter hand. In yourself you stretch, you are well.
- Each body has its art...
Comments about Gwendolyn Brooks
- Illuminatemics: does anyone know where i can find a pdf of young poets primer by gwendolyn brooks?
- Big_gator21: even if you are not ready for day it cannot always be night. gwendolyn brooks
- Bishophays: you realize there is poem on the album on praise god, kanyes mom is literally reciting a gwendolyn brooks poem lauryn hill & syleena johnson both on the album... 2 "classy" ogs he literally gave you wanted ...yet you arent happy lol beggers cant be choosers this aint chipotle
- Melissalaveaux: but it also, quoted gwendolyn brooks. a quote i’d only heard yesterday in a podcast in conversation b/w helga davis and elizabeth alexander, minutes before starting “pet”. “we are each others’ harvest, we are each others’ business, we are each other’s magnitude and bond”
- Poem2poem: a sunset's mounded cloud; / a diamond evening-star; - gwendolyn brooks