Who is George MacdonaldGeorge MacDonald (10 December 1824 – 18 September 1905) was a Scottish author, poet and Christian minister. He was a pioneering figure in the field of fantasy literature and the mentor of fellow writer Lewis Carroll. In addition to his fairy tales, MacDonald wrote several works on Christian apologetics.
His writings have been cited as a major literary influence by many notable authors including W. H. Auden, J. M. Barrie, Lord Dunsany, Hope Mirrlees, Robert E. Howard, L. Frank Baum, T.H. White, Lloyd Alexander, C. S. Lewis, J. R. R. Tolkien, Walter de la Mare, E. Nesbit, Peter S. Beagle, Neil Gaiman and Madeleine L'Engle.
C. S. Lewis wrote that he regarded MacDonald as his "master": "Picking up a copy of Phantastes one day at a train...
Read Full Biography
George Macdonald Poems
- Translations. - The Mother By The Cradle. (from Claudius.)
Sleep, baby boy, sleep sweet, secure;
Thy father's very miniature!
That art thou, though thy father goes
And says that thou hast not his nose. ...
- Translations. - My Faith. (from Schiller.)
In these epigrams I have altered the form, which in the original is the elegiac distich.
- The Diary Of An Old Soul. - June
FROM thine, as then, the healing virtue goes
Into our hearts--that is the Father's plan. ...
- Translations. - Sayings Of Confucius. (from Schiller.)
Threefold is of Time the tread:
Lingering comes the Future pacing hither; ...
- Translations. - Lyrisches Intermezzo. Lxiv. (from Heine.)
Night lay upon mine eyelids;
Upon my mouth lay lead;
With rigid brain and bosom,
I lay among the dead. ...
Top 10 most used topics by George MacdonaldHeart 188 Earth 175 Soul 171 Love 165 I Love You 165 High 159 God 157 Long 155 Life 148 Good 147
George Macdonald Quotes
- If instead of a gem, or even a flower, we should cast the gift of a loving thought into the heart of a friend, that would be giving as the angels give.
- Work is not always required. There is such a thing as sacred idleness.
Comments about George Macdonald
- Bethannagould: 69% done with lilith, by george macdonald
- Lewismichie0: chief superintendent george macdonald says there are strong foundations and a focus on preventing victimisation in the city centre. says they are aware of ‘national trends’. they’ve seen 15 reports relating to the ‘night time economy’ with broad circumstances.
- Robbie_boyle: chief superintendent george macdonald said: "it's fair to say there's a very brad divergence of circumstances in ever single one of those incidents. it's important we get a message out in relation to safety."
- Northsoundnews: chief superintendent george macdonald told aberdeen councillors today police have had 15 reports between september 1st and october 21st
- Lewismichie0: chief superintendent george macdonald told aberdeen councillors today police have had 15 reports between september 1st and october 21st