Who is George CrabbeGeorge Crabbe (/kræb/ KRAB; 24 December 1754 – 3 February 1832) was an English poet, surgeon and clergyman. He is best known for his early use of the realistic narrative form and his descriptions of middle and working-class life and people.
In the 1770s, Crabbe began his career as a doctor's apprentice, later becoming a surgeon. In 1780, he travelled to London to make a living as a poet. After encountering serious financial difficulty and being unable to have his work published, he wrote to the statesman and author Edmund Burke for assistance. Burke was impressed enough by Crabbe's poems to promise to help him in any way he could. The two became close friends and Burke helped Crabbe greatly both in his literary career and in building a role within the church.
Read Full Biography
George Crabbe Poems
- The Borough. Letter I
'DESCRIBE the Borough'--though our idle tribe
May love description, can we so describe,
That you shall fairly streets and buildings trace,
And all that gives distinction to a place? ...
- Tale Iv
Love will expire--the gay, the happy dream
Will turn to scorn, indiff'rence, or esteem: ...
- The Hall Of Justice
- Tale Vi
THE FRANK COURTSHIP.
Grave Jonas Kindred, Sybil Kindred's sire,
Was six feet high, and look'd six inches higher; ...
- The Parish Register - Part Iii: Burials
THERE was, 'tis said, and I believe, a time
When humble Christians died with views sublime;
When all were ready for their faith to bleed,
But few to write or wrangle for their creed; ...
Top 10 most used topics by George CrabbeLife 45 Long 41 Love 40 I Love You 40 Mind 40 View 40 Good 39 Time 38 Heart 37 Poor 37
George Crabbe Quotes
- Deceivers are the most dangerous members of society. They trifle with the best affections of our nature, and violate the most sacred obligations.
Comments about George Crabbe
- Jenoleeist: row 3 : angelina, molly, kingsley, padma, neville, vernon, ernie, fleur, hedwig, cissy row 4 : crooks, cedric, pansy, gatau, ollivander, greyback, hooch, ron, barty jr, gatau row 5 : gatau, katie, george/fred, bella, skeeter, harry, crabbe, kreacher, snape, cho
- Welfordwrites: procrastination, a poem by george crabbe. a look at a long poem by an 18th/19th century english poet who is not much read today. click the link!
- Unbiasedindian6: "deceivers are the most dangerous members of society. they trifle with the best affections of our nature, and violate the most sacred obligations." -- george crabbe
- Chottieebeann: be there a will, and wisdom finds a way. -george crabbe kodrea shines on asap
- 70smaraudezrs: - harry potter ‐ hermione granger - ron weasley - ginny weasley - fred weasley - george weasley - neville longbottom - draco malfoy - pansy parkinson - vincent crabbe - luna lovegood - cedric diggory - cho chang - viktor krum - angelina johnson - lavender brown - alicia spinnet