Who is George BorrowGeorge Henry Borrow (5 July 1803 – 26 July 1881) was an English writer of novels and of travel books based on his own experiences in Europe. During his travels, he developed a close affinity with the Romani people of Europe, who figure prominently in his work. His best-known books are The Bible in Spain, the autobiographical Lavengro, and The Romany Rye, about his time with the English Romanichal (Gypsies).
Early life Borrow was born at East Dereham, Norfolk, the son of Army recruiting officer, Thomas Borrow (1758–1824) and farmer's daughter, Ann Perfrement (1772–1858). His father, a lieutenant with the West Norfolk Militia, was quartered at the prisoner-of-war camp at Norman Cross from July 1811 to April 1813 and George spent his ninth and tenth year...
Read Full Biography
George Borrow Poems
- Youthful Maidens
Love, with rosy fetter,
Held us firmly bound;
Pure unmix'd enjoyment
Grateful here we found....
- Waldemar's Chase
The following Ballad is merely a versification of one of the
many feats of Waldemar, the famed phantom hunter of the
North, an account of whom, and of Palnatoka and Groon the
Jutt, both spectres of a similar character, may be found in...
- Vidrik Verlandson (from The Old Danish)
King Diderik sits in the halls of Bern,
And he boasts of his deeds of might;
So many a swain in battle he's fell'd,
And taken so many a knight....
- Thoughts On Death (from The Swedish Of C. Lohman)
Perhaps ‘t is folly, but still I feel
My heart-strings quiver, my senses reel,
Thinking how like a fast stream we range
Nearer and nearer to yon dread change,...
- The Violet-gatherer (from The Danish Of Oehlenslaeger)
Pale the moon her light was shedding
O'er the landscape far and wide;
Calmly bright, all ills undreading,
Emma wander'd by my side....
Top 10 most used topics by George BorrowLove 20 I Love You 20 Song 18 Heart 17 High 17 Night 16 Wild 16 Gold 16 White 14 Earth 14
George Borrow Quotes
Comments about George Borrow
- Sarkatmuss: what* you’re likely going to get sued out of homes if you were given any to borrow but make us see george harrison family doesn’t go homeless
- Thebiggestyee: i asked my work neighbor to borrow a pen and she stuck this through the door lmao
- Nisansadds: now, if we can borrow george orwell's corpse, we can attach a generator to it and solve our power problems.
- Kayuntaeming: anyone in st. george’s have any clear fishing line i can borrow tonight??
- George: if one pooch is ~20 watts, and i need ~300 watts for 4:30 /km, could i borrow everyone's dogs and smash some pbs?