Who is Edward LearEdward Lear (12 May 1812, Holloway – 29 January 1888, Sanremo) was an English artist, illustrator, musician, author and poet, now known mostly for his literary nonsense in poetry and prose and especially his limericks, a form he popularised. His principal areas of work as an artist were threefold: as a draughtsman employed to illustrate birds and animals; making coloured drawings during his journeys, which he reworked later, sometimes as plates for his travel books; as a (minor) illustrator of Alfred, Lord Tennyson's poems. As an author, he is known principally for his popular nonsense collections of poems, songs, short stories, botanical drawings, recipes, and alphabets. He also composed and published twelve musical settings of Tennyson's poetry.
Read Full Biography
Edward Lear Poems
- More Nonsense Limerick 30
There was a young person in red,
Who carefully covered her head,
With a bonnet of leather,
And three lines of feather, ...
- Book Of Nonsense Limerick 38
There was an Old Man of Quebec,
A beetle ran over his neck;
But he cried, "With a needle,
I'll slay you, O beadle!" ...
- More Nonsense Limerick 69
There was an old person in gray,
Whose feelings were tinged with dismay;
She purchased two parrots,
And fed them with carrots, ...
- Book Of Nonsense Limerick 60
There was an Old Man of the South,
Who had an immoderate mouth;
But in swallowing a dish,
That was quite full of fish, ...
- Book Of Nonsense Limerick 69
There was an Old Man of Coblenz,
The length of whose legs was immense;
He went with one prance,
From Turkey to France, ...
Top 10 most used topics by Edward LearPerson 214 Limerick 123 Book 118 Young 106 Lady 94 Never 41 Head 41 Large 40 Long 40 Blue 38
Edward Lear Quotes
- I was much distressed by next door people who had twin babies and played the violin; but one of the twins died, and the other has eaten the fiddle - so all is peace.
Comments about Edward Lear
- Mrtoolan: i’m sure edward lear must have written a nonsense poem about a character called “edwin poots”
- Eksiekitchin: it was edward lear's bird day two days ago! :o
- Gismospurs: no, was it written by edward lear?
- Samothrace02: i love edward lear poems and illustrations. right now one of its book is what i read before going to be ❤️
- Waynecountyfcu: tame or bawdy, short or long, we all like a limerick or two in our lives. thank edward lear today for your favorite limerick today, national limerick day.