Who is Edith WhartonEdith Wharton (/ˈhwɔːrtən/; born Edith Newbold Jones; January 24, 1862 – August 11, 1937) was an American novelist, short story writer, playwright, and designer. Wharton drew upon her insider's knowledge of the upper class New York "aristocracy" to realistically portray the lives and morals of the Gilded Age. She was the first woman to win the Pulitzer Prize for Literature in 1921. She was inducted into the National Women's Hall of Fame in 1996.
Contents BiographyEarly life
Read Full Biography
Edith Wharton Poems
- The Comrade
WILD winged thing, O brought I know not whence
To beat your life out in my life's low cage;
You strange familiar, nearer than my flesh
Yet distant as a star, that were at first ...
PATIENCE and I have traveled hand in hand
So many days that I have grown to trace
The lines of sad, sweet beauty in her face,
And all its veiled depths to understand. ...
- Ogrin The Hermit
Ogrin the Hermit in old age set forth
This tale to them that sought him in the extreme
Ancient grey wood where he and silence housed:
WE women want too many things;
And first we call for happiness, -
The careless boon the hour brings,
The smile, the song, and the caress. ...
- Some Busy Hands...
SOME busy hands have brought to light,
And laid beneath my eye, ...
Top 10 most used topics by Edith WhartonHeart 25 Life 25 Light 22 Long 18 Love 18 Soul 18 I Love You 18 High 16 World 15 Beneath 15
Edith Wharton Quotes
- Another unsettling element in modern art is that common symptom of immaturity, the dread of doing what has been done before.
- Life is either always a tight-rope or a featherbed. Give me a tight-rope.
- There are two ways of spreading light to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.
Comments about Edith Wharton
- Uii_jo: "beware of monotony; it's the mother of all the deadly sins." -edith wharton
- Agbajeaanu: "there are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it." - edith wharton
- Renggapermana71: if only wed stop trying to be happy we could have a pretty good time edith wharton. ◼dc636◼
- Lucifer_mornst: "there are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it." —edith wharton
- Mollote3: i'm afraid i'm an incorrigible life- lover, life-wonderer, and adventurer. edith wharton