Who is Edith NesbitEdith Nesbit (married name Edith Bland; 15 August 1858 – 4 May 1924) was an English author and poet; she published her books for children under the name of E. Nesbit.
She wrote or collaborated on more than 60 books of children's literature. She was also a political activist and co-founded the Fabian Society, a socialist organisation later affiliated to the Labour Party.
Contents Biography Nesbit was born in 1858 at 38 Lower Kennington Lane in Kennington, Surrey (now classified as Inner London), the daughter of an agricultural chemist, John Collis Nesbit, who died in March 1862, before her fourth birthday. Her...
Read Full Biography
Edith Nesbit Poems
- From The Portuguese
When I lived in the village of youth
There were lilies in all the orchards, ...
I gathered shells upon the sand,
Each shell a little perfect thing,
So frail, yet potent to withstand
The mountain-waves' wild buffeting. ...
- In The Rose Garden
RED roses bright, pink roses and white
That bud and blossom and fall;
The very sight of my heart's delight
Is more than worth them all! ...
THREE months had passed since she had knelt before
The grate of the confessional, and he,
--The priest--had wondered why she came no more
To tell her sinless sins--the vanity ...
- At Evening Time There Shall Be Light
THE day was wild with wind and rain,
One grey wrapped sky and sea and shore,
It seemed our marsh would never again
Wear the rich robes that once it wore. ...
Top 10 most used topics by Edith NesbitLove 162 I Love You 162 Heart 139 Life 118 Dear 109 White 97 Night 91 Never 86 Sweet 85 Long 82
Edith Nesbit Quotes
Comments about Edith Nesbit
- Shapebookstore: the woodbegoods, illustrated by edith nesbit -
- Adrlanj: i've not read this gothic yarn b4,i did know that edith nesbit wrote the railway children though & she was also known for children's books but i didn't know she wrote macabre stories like this one,which leads to somebodies death,so plan to read her wikipedia at some point today.
- Lila740141: "time is but a mode of thought" (was edith nesbit the first to introduce that idea into children's fiction, or just the first i remember? i think all the time-travelling children's books since derived a lot from her.)
- Shapebookstore: paperback - the railway children -
- Lyledaisy: ok im an idiot i thought this was edith nesbit but never mind, a great hats a great hat