Who is Donald HallDonald Andrew Hall Jr. (September 20, 1928 – June 23, 2018) was an American poet, writer, editor and literary critic. He was the author of over 50 books across several genres from children's literature, biography, memoir, essays, and including 22 volumes of verse. Hall was a graduate of Phillips Exeter Academy, Harvard, and Oxford. Early in his career, he became the first poetry editor of The Paris Review (1953–1961), the quarterly literary journal, and was noted for interviewing poets and other authors on their craft.
On June 14, 2006, Hall was appointed as the Library of Congress's 14th Poet Laureate Consultant in Poetry (commonly known as "Poet Laureate of the United States"). He is regarded as a "plainspoken, rural poet," and it has been said that, in his work, ...
Read Full Biography
Donald Hall Poems
- The Painted Bed
'Even when I danced erect
by the Nileâ??s garden
I constructed Necropolis.
- A Poet At Twenty
Images leap with him from branch to branch. His eyes
brighten, his head cocks, he pauses under a green bough,
And when I see him I want to hide him somewhere. ...
- An Old Life
Snow fell in the night.
At five-fifteen I woke to a bluish
mounded softness where
the Honda was. Cat fed and coffee made, ...
- Sudden Things
A storm was coming, that was why it was dark. The wind was blowing the fronds of the palm trees off. They were maples. I looked out the window across the big lawn. The house was huge, full of children and old people. The lion was loose. Either because of the wind, or by malevolent human energy, which is the same thing, the cage had come open. Suppose a child walked outside!
A child walked outside. I knew that I must protect him from the lion. I threw myself on top of the child. The lion roared over me. In the branches and the bushes there was suddenly a loud crackling. The lion cringed. I looked up and saw that the elephant was loose!
- Mount Kearsarge Shines
Mount Kearsarge shines with ice; from hemlock branches
snow slides onto snow; no stream, creek, or river
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â budges but remains still. Tonight
we carry armloads of logs ...
Top 10 most used topics by Donald HallWhite 7 Dark 6 Black 5 Morning 4 Body 4 Ice 4 Snow 4 High 4 House 3 Mouth 3
Donald Hall Quotes
Comments about Donald Hall
- Wolfnorthampton: prank call admissions as donald trump.. 'i now av more time on my hands & want to do a fantastic course at a beautiful, beautiful university in northampton townsvilleshire. i require a big hall of residence for my staff, secret service detail & essay writers.' the line goes dead.
- Sw1a0aa: so i guess someone was lying about selling the nhs to donald trump.
- Harryslaststand: you know, you don't have to be donald trump to be a bully.
- Cwknight: they shouldn’t even say anything about it, keep the script exactly the same, with the spotlight and the narrator saying his full name, just like all the others, and just replace him with a donald duck animatronic in the hall of presidents.
- Chas_darwin: gop hall of shame: sedition edition meet the 508 and counting republican state legislators who aided and abetted a movement to overthrow our democracy and hand donald trump another four years in the white house.