Who is Donald HallDonald Andrew Hall Jr. (September 20, 1928 – June 23, 2018) was an American poet, writer, editor and literary critic. He was the author of over 50 books across several genres from children's literature, biography, memoir, essays, and including 22 volumes of verse. Hall was a graduate of Phillips Exeter Academy, Harvard, and Oxford. Early in his career, he became the first poetry editor of The Paris Review (1953–1961), the quarterly literary journal, and was noted for interviewing poets and other authors on their craft.
On June 14, 2006, Hall was appointed as the Library of Congress's 14th Poet Laureate Consultant in Poetry (commonly known as "Poet Laureate of the United States"). He is regarded as a "plainspoken, rural poet," and it has been said that, in his work, ...
Read Full Biography
Donald Hall Poems
- The Painted Bed
'Even when I danced erect
by the Nileâ??s garden
I constructed Necropolis.
- A Poet At Twenty
Images leap with him from branch to branch. His eyes
brighten, his head cocks, he pauses under a green bough,
And when I see him I want to hide him somewhere. ...
- An Old Life
Snow fell in the night.
At five-fifteen I woke to a bluish
mounded softness where
the Honda was. Cat fed and coffee made, ...
- Sudden Things
A storm was coming, that was why it was dark. The wind was blowing the fronds of the palm trees off. They were maples. I looked out the window across the big lawn. The house was huge, full of children and old people. The lion was loose. Either because of the wind, or by malevolent human energy, which is the same thing, the cage had come open. Suppose a child walked outside!
A child walked outside. I knew that I must protect him from the lion. I threw myself on top of the child. The lion roared over me. In the branches and the bushes there was suddenly a loud crackling. The lion cringed. I looked up and saw that the elephant was loose!
- Mount Kearsarge Shines
Mount Kearsarge shines with ice; from hemlock branches
snow slides onto snow; no stream, creek, or river
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â budges but remains still. Tonight
we carry armloads of logs ...
Top 10 most used topics by Donald HallWhite 7 Dark 6 Black 5 Morning 4 Body 4 Ice 4 Snow 4 High 4 House 3 Mouth 3
Donald Hall Quotes
Comments about Donald Hall
- Lem0nyyy: the amount of people who clapped when donald trump came up in the hall of presidents is sad /neg
- Identitytheory: "i have lived long enough so that i have seen poetry increase enormously in audience. i know that it is not so many people as go to the dog tracks one night in florida, probably." —donald hall
- Poetbronx: happy birthday september 20...choreographer bob banas(the jonathan winters show),88; critic /writer donald hall(1928-2018)"93"; actress /comic anne meara (stiller & meara)(1929-2015) "92"; actress clarice taylor(nurse bailey-nurse)(1927-2011)"94"; best wishes to one & to all!!!
- Johnstonglenn: us poet laureate donald hall was born otd in 1928. he taught a class on james joyce, wb yeats and edwin muir at the university of michigan. "some students considered muir incompatible with the other two writers, but hall managed to sway opinions through his...skill as a teacher."
- Beineckelibrary: brief lives : seven epigrams / by donald hall